Cornerofmadness's Reviews > Deadly Little Secret

Mar 11, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult
Read in March, 2012

I picked up this book since the library had three of the series, looking brand new and because it dealt with psychometry, which I enjoy. My fear was that it would be too high school for me. I do enjoy YA books but some don’t make the leap to being enjoyed by all ages as well as others. This wasn’t bad (though if I weren’t scads of years beyond the target age I might have liked it even better).

Camelia (whose real name might actually be chameleon) is a young girl who nearly died one day after school as a car careens towards her. She is saved by a young man who races off immediately afterward but not before he examines her to sure she’s okay. His touch, however, was odd, leaving a lasting impression on her. When the new semester of school starts, Camelia is hanging with her two friends Kimmie (who wants to be a fashion designer and many of her lines revolve around this) and Wes (who never seems to develop beyond ‘quirky’) when she sees the boy who saved her. Ben is new to the school and he comes complete with a newly christened nickname, Ben the Butcher. Rumor has it he had killed his girlfriend but they couldn’t prove it.

Naturally Camelia wants to meet him and at least thank him for saving her life but Ben’s not interested in talking. They end up lab partners but the student body is in no mood to be forgiving of Ben’s rumored past. Parents are calling up to get him thrown out even though he’s done nothing. Much to Kimmie and Wes’s chagrin, Camelia is attracted to Ben.

To make matters worse, someone is leaving pictures, notes and gifts at Camelia’s house. At first she thinks it’s a joke by Wes but as time goes on the notes get more stalkerish. Unknown to Camelia, her stalker is real and getting more unstable as time goes on as evidenced by a journal the reader is privy too. Kimmie tries to get Camelia interested in going out with John, or she’ll make a play for him herself. John seems interested, Camelia is not. Nor is she interested in Matt, a friend she went out with for a couple weeks before downgrading the relationship to just friends again. Matt is still in the picture, though. And it looks like her mentor at Knead, a pottery shop, might have an unhealthy interest in her too. Spencer could just be an adult looking to guide a young pupil or he could be the stalker.

As Camelia goes out a few times with Ben two things happen: the stalker’s notes get more demanding and Ben finally confides in her that he can perform psychometry and that she is in danger. She’s not sure she can believe him and with pressure from friends it’s easy to believe he’s the stalker of her and a girl named Debbie who is also getting notes. But if Ben is right, then her life is in danger.

Over all, it’s an entertaining read. Camelia is a good, smart character. Kimmie isn’t bad. Ben is also well done. Camelia’s parents are well drawn too but it seems too coincidental that her mom is having troubles right now because several plot points just wouldn’t work if she had attentive parents. Being a quick read, I might pick up the new one from the library.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Little Secret.