Ashton Macaulay's Reviews > Secondhand Souls

Secondhand Souls by Christopher Moore

liked it

A Dirty Job is one of my favorite books I've read in recent memory, meaning the bar for Secondhand Souls was impossibly high for the jump. The story picks up right where A Dirty Job left off, and is at its most interesting in the first half. While the book focuses on the same characters, it ends up feeling like some of them lose their depth in favor of leaning more heavily into tropes. It's unfortunate, because I love Charlie Asher so much, but he feels a little short-changed in the sequel. Fortunately, the new characters introduced for the sequels are standouts, with the villain, Lemon being one of my favorites.

The story is fun and intriguing, but ultimately feels handicapped by its conclusion. The book wraps up at a blinding pace with a bit of an anti-climactic showdown and ends up feeling a bit hollow. I would have liked to see a bit more depth in the last third of the book, but overall, the story was still enjoyable.

For fans of A Dirty Job, I'd definitely recommend picking it up. If nothing else, it gives more time with the characters we've come to love and has Moore's trademark humor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secondhand Souls.

August 5, 2019 – Started Reading