Archit Ojha's Reviews > Hammond

Hammond by Jonathan LaPoma

Three Words: Original, Poignant and Memorable!

Hammond is a story of a high school boy from Buffalo, New York who dreams of wining the Basketball State Championship one day, no matter what it takes.

His only problem?

Well, he can't seem to get rid of the idea that Devil has got the hold of him and everything he does, Devil has something got to do with it.

Generally, you might find it normal, just some teenage issues. But not for our protagonist here. When he is stuck on an idea, it becomes very difficult for him to come out it. Take the passion for winning the State Championship for example.

Jonathan LaPoma is one of the best authors I have come across. He makes it a point to stir the emotions in your heart you never knew existed. I mean, I didn't know I will be waiting for the story of a high school from Buffalo!

A hidden gem is all I can say about it.

Books like this make you think after you are done reading it and they stay with you, for the better and worse.

The Cover:

It takes all the points. When you get into the story and keep coming back to admire and appreciate the cover, it all makes sense. The pages are smooth that it feels like they are made of rivers.

Characters:

A bunch of high school boys, a family, a childhood crush, a coach, priests, nuns and a determined and yet scare boy.

All of these characters have something or other to make you contemplate why they behave the way they do, bringing back everything to the protagonist's point of view. You feel that some of them these will need a book of their own. They have got voice and need to be heard.

Plot and Writing:

I believe that this is a book that everyone can read. With Jonathan LaPoma's gripping writing style, I can assure you of that. Having read his previous work, I found this one narrating a wonderful journey of author's writing too. The author is upgrading his standard day by day, book by book. The writing is poetic, lyrical and anything you associate with the word "melody".

I just needed to make time for this one and the pages turned themselves, a ride full of emotions and the heart goes to the boy over and over again. You stick with his till the end. Boy! You wish there is no end.

I have been given a vivid picture of Buffalo through this novel and I cannot wait to be there in person.

Now comes the plot. James is convinced his thoughts are evil and he can never change this status quo. His elder brother is full of tranquility and you feel you need to save him. His dad is ever scolding him, making him do house work that he hates, there is mom and his siblings who aren't much help. James has a fine set of friends. Almost fine. His only solace is in going to Hammond and play basketball. The twists and turns his life takes and then, the ending, a flawless ending it was for me.

When James says, "When I become a dad, I will make sure I'm good to my children", this was a selling point for me.

I give Hammond a perfect 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hammond.

August 5, 2019 – Started Reading