Andrew's Reviews > Jade War

Jade War by Fonda Lee

Such a fantastic follow-up.

I really loved Jade City and Jade War didn't disappoint. It's much bigger in scope and it allows the main players from the first book to grow in interesting ways.

I was particularly impressed by how cinematic the action in the first book was and every single fight scene in Jade War is just as gripping. What this book offers more of is the Weather Man's side of the clan. The business dealings, political intrigue and economic plotting are just as thrilling as the duels. I think that really says a lot about how Fonda Lee creates stakes. You care about the characters and since the outcome of a trade deal could affect them just as much as the outcome of an assassination attempt it feels just as vital to read about.

For me the most interesting part of the story was how it explored the Kekonese diaspora. I loved the thought and care Fonda Lee put into making the Espenian-Kekonese feel like a real ethnic community trying to exist and find their place in a huge western city without losing their culture and identity. It helps that Anden is my favourite character and we learn about all of this through his eyes.

Jade abilities are just so much fun to read about too. I love that it's a limited form of magic. None of the characters have all their problems solved because they've got jade. Green Bones still need to be very smart and very careful to survive. Jade War delves a little more into exactly what Perception can do which led to some amazing Daredevil shit that was so, so cool.

I flew through Jade War. It was really so much fun to read. This is such a special series. I'm so glad the first book wasn't a fluke!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jade War.

December 12, 2018 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
December 12, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (ebook Edition)
August 4, 2019 – Started Reading
August 4, 2019 – Shelved
August 13, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Ana (new) - added it

Ana Shocker!!!

Andrew Please Ana, not in front of the children.

message 3: by Ana (new) - added it

Ana :P

Hamad One of the best follow up books ever!!!