Michael's Reviews > Horror Stories

Horror Stories by Liz Phair

it was ok

I recieved a digital copy free from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was a huge disappointment. I came in expecting stories about Liz's music, the industry, and how she grew up and matured. Unfortunately its a collection of stories about things that were terrible moments that stuck with her that never really click.

Reading through the book, you understand where the moments latched on, but there isn't much connection. The first chapter is probably the one I connected with the most, as the regrets are easy to relate to.

As the book progressed I felt like it wavered and veered off in to less interesting material. While the stories are obviously personal, it just doesn't make for great reading. At some points I had to fight off skipping ahead in chunks.

As someone who has been listening to Liz since high school in the early to mid 90s, this just let me down. There was so much potential considering how relatable her music had always been, yet this book just fell super flat. I can't recommend this at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horror Stories.

August 4, 2019 – Shelved