Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance's Reviews > In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex

In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick

bookshelves: adventure, animals, nature, nonfiction

It's easy to see how reading Moby Dick led me to In the Heart of the Sea; the story of the sinking of the Essex helped inspire Melville to write his great classic. It's also easy to see why I loved this book; In the Heart of the Sea is the mesmerizing true tale of a ship in the early nineteenth century sunk by the wrath of a whale and the desperation of its crew of twenty to survive in three small whale boats for three months. Only eight men lived, and it's the story of their struggle that is, at once, both amazing and horrifying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Heart of the Sea.

August 4, 2019 – Started Reading
August 9, 2019 – Shelved as: animals
August 9, 2019 – Shelved as: nature
August 9, 2019 – Finished Reading
October 24, 2019 – Shelved as: nonfiction

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Elizabeth☮ This book is so good. I love when authors can create a scene on the water the way Philbrick does here. Amazing.

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance It was a powerful story. I agree with you.

Great Book Study I've had this on my wishlist for awhile. I am excited to read it. I've seen the movie and thought it was really well done. It actually made me love MD even more than I already did. (This is my second read of MD.)

message 4: by Meg (new) - added it

Meg Dunham Wow! Moby Dick is one of my favorite books/movies, but I didn't realize it was based on a true story!

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance I have not seen the movie but I’d like to.