Charlotte Black's Reviews > Punished

Punished by Kira Saito

Mar 11, 2012

Read from March 10 to 11, 2012

Its very rare that a second book of a series keeps me captivated as much as the first. Usually something gives in the wrong place or a character gets too cocky, but Punished held its own exactly as Bound did. Gorgeous writing, beautiful scenery, sumptuous food, shocking history and lots of wonderful romancing made this read highly enjoyable.

This book starts exactly as the previous book ends. Bound ended with Lucas, the hot mysterious guy opening his bedroom door. Punished begins with what happens next, and I was utterly hooked. Again! I dove straight back into the story, and felt like the characters were all old friends and exactly as I'd left them.

Punished is much darker than the first. The dark histories spiral outwards as Arelia understands her path as Voodoo Queen. She feels the confidence growing in her to call on the spirits, who are not all nice and friendly, and she acts without hesitation when they turn on her friends. Arelia as a character was still as great as I remembered and had room to grow in this book. She finally stands up to Sabrina, her jealous and selfish best friend though Sabrina surprises us in the end. Arelia also embraces her need for knowledge in regards to the lotions, oils, concoctions and tools needed to defeat the evil. Her feelings for Lucas grow immensely and while it should almost be a forbidden love, you can't help feeling finally glad that they've found each other.

This is much more than just a Paranormal YA book. Saito helps us learn more about the cruelty of the slave trade. We get to understand how these poor people suffered in terrible conditions and share their emotions as if they are real people. We also get to finally understand about Lucas and his nemesis. And how can I forget the food. Once again my mouth constantly watered when I read about the divine dishes served, and I really wished I was there to try them out!

The ending was a cliffhanger but in a good way. A culprit has been found, but what happens next...only book 3, Possessed, can tell us and it will be out soon!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Punished.

03/11/2012