Jenna's Reviews > Disappearing Earth

Disappearing Earth by Julia  Phillips

bookshelves: fiction, mystery

The reason I added this book to my TBR list is because I love the cover. After cataloging it for my library, I left it sitting on my desk for a couple of hours just to admire the cover when my eyes needed a break from the computer. The colours are exquisite! I had to read the book, just because I fell in love with the cover. Thankfully I didn't waste my time on a book I hated. It paid to judge this book by its cover!

Set on a remote peninsula in Russia, the book opens with a chapter on two young girls, sisters. They are spending the day at the lake when a strange man injures his ankle and asks for their assistance getting back to his car. Yeh, you guessed it..... he abducts them.

Disappearing Earth isn't your usual detective/mystery book. Instead of focusing on the police investigation, each chapter is concerns a different person, in consecutive months following the abduction. It details each woman's specific life, what is going on in it and how the abduction touches upon her life personally.

The book is gorgeously written, with believable and well-developed characters. Normally I don't like books that have several POVs but it works for this novel. It works very well. Instead of finding myself disoriented with so many main characters, I felt like I got to know each of these women personally. I came to care about each one. I did get annoyed a few times when the book focused on some of their relationships with men. UGH! I get tired of reading about straight relationships -- no offense to straight people, it just gets to be a bit much when most novels are mainly about straight people, and I can't relate to woman-man relationships.

For that reason alone, with my interest waning during those parts, I'm giving this 4 stars instead of 5 and want to point this out because it's not a problem most people will have with this book. It is extremely well-written and grabbed my attention in the very first chapter - on the very first page! - immersing me in its world. And of course -- that cover!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disappearing Earth.

August 4, 2019 – Started Reading
August 4, 2019 – Shelved
August 10, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction
August 10, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery
August 10, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Sounds an interesting plot,... great review by the way Jenna 😊

message 2: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Sounds really good Jenna, great review 🤗

Jenna Sandra wrote: "Sounds an interesting plot,... great review by the way Jenna 😊"

Thank you, Sandra; yes it was very interesting!

Jenna Maureen wrote: "Sounds really good Jenna, great review 🤗"

It was definitely good, Maureen; thank you :)

message 5: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Will look at checking out this one, terrific review!

Jenna Elizabeth wrote: "Will look at checking out this one, terrific review!"

Thank you, Elizabeth; I hope you'll enjoy it too!

message 7: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Langford Fantastic review Jenna 😄

Jenna Lucy wrote: "Fantastic review Jenna 😄"

Thanks, Lucy :)

Terry Caldwell It is a beautiful cover!

Jenna Terry wrote: "It is a beautiful cover!"

I'm glad someone else thinks to too, Terry!

message 11: by Hanneke (new)

Hanneke Wonderful review, Jenna! I find it so nice that you inititally got seduced to read it by its beautiful cover! And there you go, the content was great as well!

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Great review Jenna - makes me want to read this!

Jenna Hanneke wrote: "Wonderful review, Jenna! I find it so nice that you inititally got seduced to read it by its beautiful cover! And there you go, the content was great as well!"

Thank you, Hanneke! It was good to find the book's content was just as wonderful as the cover :)

Jenna Lisa wrote: "Great review Jenna - makes me want to read this!"

I hope you'll enjoy it too, Lisa. I've only had one other friend read it so far but she loved it too.

message 15: by JanB (new) - added it

JanB I've been on the fence with this one but you've convinced me to keep it in my tbr. Terrific review. Blue is my favorite color and this cover is gorgeous! 😍

Jenna JanB wrote: "I've been on the fence with this one but you've convinced me to keep it in my tbr. Terrific review. Blue is my favorite color and this cover is gorgeous! 😍"

I hope you'll enjoy it too, Jan! Blue is such a gorgeous colour... and purple! They're tied for my favourite, so of course I can't resist this cover :)

message 17: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Lovely review!

Beata Stellar review, Jenna 🥰 I don't have a printed copy, alas, but the cover is both beautiful & intriguing ...

Jenna Kathleen wrote: "Lovely review!"

Thanks, Kathleen!

Jenna Beata wrote: "Stellar review, Jenna 🥰 I don't have a printed copy, alas, but the cover is both beautiful & intriguing ..."

Thank you, Beata; sorry you didn't get to see the cover when you were reading it. Actually, I read the e-copy too, but got to admire it that first day at the library before it went out for circulation.

message 21: by JV (semi-hiatus) (new)

JV (semi-hiatus) Magnificent write-up dear Jenna! 🤗

message 22: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Sounds really interesting, great review!

Jenna JV (semi-hiatus) wrote: "Magnificent write-up dear Jenna! 🤗"

Thank you, JV!

Jenna Whitney wrote: "Sounds really interesting, great review!"

Thank you, Whitney!