Danny's Reviews > Of Poseidon

Mar 10, 2012

bookshelves: imm-march

Review posted at Bewitched Bookworms

Epic Awesomeness!!!!
You know one of the best things about writing reviews and featuring books on your blog is when you have a book that literally blew you away! Of Poseidon is such a book and beware of my fangirly excitement which will follow in the next paragraphs.

Like with many other books Of Poseidon drew me initially in because of this gorgeous cover! I simply adore this girl in the water, I loooove the white and the green, it’s incredible! I can’t wait to have this piece of awesomeness on my shelf as a hardcover! But, this book has not just a gorgeous cover, Oh no! This book was a mind-blowing wonderment!

*Be Warned: Long Review full of fangirlyness!*

Starting with a BANG!
I believe you know it yourself. Some books start slow and some books start with a BANG! The opening scene in Of Poseidon drew me in immediately and I was right into this story and there was no way to put it down after this. Emma stumbles into Galen in the first minutes of the book and this scene set the tone of the whole book! It was the perfect opening! But, apart from this cute interaction in the beginning, there is even more happening in the first chapter that made me gasp. We get everything in the first pages, laughter, hotness (=Galen), cuteness(=Emma) and heartbreaking tears! Yes, it’s not just light and fun. But, this doesn’t matter! Seriously, what is better than a book that triggers the full range of emotion? Nothing!

Emma! Belongs to the hall-of-fame of awesomeness heroines!
Emma was incredibly cute but at the same time I loved loved loved her snarky retorts. She was awesome and I have such a big girl crush on her. I want to be her friend!!! In Of Poseidon, Emma has to discover that there is something else in the world, something that was hidden until now and that fairy tales with mermaids (please Galen, excuse this word!) are true! Moreover, she even seems to be part of this! Emma handles this all fantastically with spark and snark! Can I stress again how much I love Emma?

Galen – *dies* … uhmm *fans self*
Who would think a mermaid could be sex-on-fishtails? I didn’t, but then I met Galen! Prince of the Syrena (because we do not use the word mermaids from this moment forward, Galen would not be happy…) Galen is hotness personified. He’s an ambassador for his kind and keeps track on what the humans are up to, he takes care that the Syrena are not discovered. But, he has not much love for humankind which why it’s even more confusing when he feels so fascinated and captivated by Emma. This initial spark he felt when he meet Emma made him follow her to her school to figure out the mystery behind Emma.

I adore and love Galen insanely! He’s incredible hot (thank you for that) but since he’s a Prince he also is very bad-ass, dominant and possessive! Gosh, don’t we all love hot alpha males? Emma constantly annoys him because for once Emma does not treat him like the royal prince he is and she constantly talks back and does not take his crap! I loved loved loved their constant batter and their snarky and witty retorts! Those dialogues were one of the best aspects in Of Poseidon!

At the same time, Galen hasn’t truly lived among humans and some human rituals and behavior is foreign for him. It was incredibly funny when he was just confused by this ridiculous human behavior, which doesn’t fit this Prince all to well But this just added to the level of adoration I felt for Galen!

Emotionally invested?? Tears, Laughter, Heartbreak? Yep, all of this!
Oh yes, very much so! The plot in addition was mysterious enough to keep me on edge. The pace was perfect. I was just as eager to find out more about Emma than Emma and Galen themselves. But one of the best parts was the unfolding romance and the love! Gosh the Love was intense, hot and beautiful although it seemed doomed from the beginning! Be aware of serious heartbreak. I, myself had water in my eyes and also shed a few tears…

Bottom Line
Of Poseidon was epic and a pure wonderment! Anna Banks created a tale that was heart-melting, mysterious funny and just fanfreakingtastic! The characters were amazing with a heroine who was smart cute and snarky and Galen the boy who stole Emma’s heart but will also steal yours! Of Poseidon will get a place on my special-awesomeness shelf of epic tales and I hope it will get a place on yours!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Poseidon.

Quotes Danny Liked

Anna Banks
“Galen?”
“Hmm?”
“You can put me down now.”
“I’m not ready yet.” He tightens his hold.
“You don’t have to hold—“
“Emma? Can you hear me?”
“Uh, yes. I can hear fine. I just can’t see—“
“That’s a relief. Because for a minute there, I thought maybe you didn’t hear me when I said I’m not ready yet.”
“Jackass.”
Anna Banks, Of Poseidon

March 10, 2012 – Shelved
March 10, 2012 – Shelved as: imm-march
March 17, 2012 – Started Reading
March 17, 2012 –
page 140
43.21% "Gosh I'm so loving this one!!! It's awesome !!!"
March 17, 2012 –
page 180
55.56% "I can't read fast enough!! but at the same time I don't want to get done so fast -I'm loving it soo much, I don't want it to end!! EPIC!"
March 17, 2012 – Finished Reading

~Tina~ I love your enthusiasm! Your making me really really want this book!!

Danny Oh gosh yes it was that amazing!! I read done mediocre books lately and was getting depressed. This one was one of the highlights thus year!! You have to meet Galen and Emma- gosh you'll love them and their constant back and forth chat , full of snarky,witty and smart retorts!!

nick Now you're making me jealous. :(
Gah, can't believe I have to wait until 22nd May to get this!
Oh well, you're review's pretty awesome and the book seems fantastic :)

Danny It is phenomenal!!! It's worth the wait and the anticipation- I'm totally going to get my own hard copy. !!

message 5: by Rogier (new) - added it

Rogier i so freaking want this1
gr8 review thingy

Danny Thanks Rogier:-)

nick Danny wrote: "It is phenomenal!!! It's worth the wait and the anticipation- I'm totally going to get my own hard copy. !!"

I can't wait then! :)

Thalia I believe this is a stand alone! The ending has that of a book that might have a sequel, but I think the author left it like that on purpose. (:

Whitney There is going to be a sequel, Of Triton- I desperately want more Galen and Emma- I loved them, and their little fights

Thalia Whitney wrote: "There is going to be a sequel, Of Triton- I desperately want more Galen and Emma- I loved them, and their little fights"

Yeah, I realized that--it wasn't originally released as a sequel and was listed as a standalone on GoodReads before they released Of Triton's title.

Danny YEP, we are so going to get a sequel! Anna Banks is already writing on it :)

Rebecca I wasn't too sure from the blurb whether or not I wanted to give it a go but after reading your review, I went straight onto Amazon and ordered it for next day delivery. I can't wait to start reading but somehow I have to make it last two weeks for my holiday! :D

Danny I hope you'll love it !!!! I truly adored it and the sequel is all kinds of awesome too!!!

Rebecca I just finished reading it (Yeah, it didn't last me until my Holiday even started, let alone ended.) What can I say? Wow? xD The cliffhanger kind of bugged me since I don't have the time or money to buy the next one but I don't hold a grudge for it. It was one of the best books I've ever read (Though it doesn't beat the Demon Trappers by Jana Oliver!) ;]