Tara's Reviews > Cause of Death

Cause of Death by Patricia Cornwell

Mar 10, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: audio-book, read-in-2012, doctor-emt-paramedic-etc, police-government-agency

So much for the books getting better, I guess I spoke too soon! In this book Dr. KS is filling in for an out of town medical examiner. Then she's scuba diving (because she's certified because Dr. K can do anything), then her niece is crying and drinking and crying and what? And then the Libyan’s kill Doc Brown to steal his plutonium so Marty McFly takes off with the time machine thanks to the flux capacitor... Oh wait.. well, it was something like that.

It was like she took everything that was sort of timely at the moment she was writing- middle east, nuclear weapons and David Koresh and tossed it all in a blender and tried to make a plot out of it. The plot needed a ton of explaining and at the end it was like she realized that so she just stopped writing to save herself the trouble. Because there is no other reason for that abrupt ending.

The characters are going downhill fast. Seriously- Lucy is a mess and there is no way she passed any sort of psych eval to get into the FBI. I mean I've been saying it for a while, she is a little crazy-cakes. Why would the government let her carry a gun? Kay is the most unsympathetic character ever. I'm over her affair and I'm really over Benton. The best character the series has is Marino, and that doesn't say much. He has a mystery son, and a heartbreaking love for Kay (that she shits on whenever possible) and he is trying to kill himself with food and cigarettes to get out of this series. I can't say I blame him...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cause of Death.

March 10, 2012 – Shelved
March 10, 2012 – Shelved as: audio-book
June 20, 2012 – Started Reading
June 20, 2012 – Shelved as: read-in-2012
June 20, 2012 – Shelved as: doctor-emt-paramedic-etc
June 20, 2012 – Shelved as: police-government-agency
June 20, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Don't you hate it when a series just keeps getting worse and worse? It's like END IT ALREADY! But I loved your review - And then the Libyan’s kill Doc Brown to steal his plutonium so Marty McFly takes off with the time machine thanks to the flux capacitor... Oh wait.. Thanks for the laugh!

Dusan Ha! My sentiments exactly. And thanks for the laugh :-D

message 3: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara You're Welcome!

Rick Rowland The best review I have ever read. :)

message 5: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Slater berard I second that- greatest review I have ever read!

The most amazing part for me was when Kay felt betrayed that Lucy had gotten drunk. This was relight after a few sections where she repeatedly offered her "alcoholic" niece wine. Some doctor.

message 6: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Great post. My feelings exactly. I don't know why I keep reading this series (maybe because I'm not aware of any other series out there with crime, forensic topics). I bought the series after I read her first book so that keeps me reading this. This series is fiction so I try to think that while I'm reading these. Like what medical examiner always get in the killers way and ends up killing them or saving the day? And do medical examiners really go out with the police and FBI to help hunt down clues and catch a killer? Really?