Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance's Reviews > The Whaleship Essex: The True Story of Moby Dick

The Whaleship Essex by Jil Fine

bookshelves: adventure, animals, nonfiction
Read 2 times. Last read August 3, 2019.

Yes, it's a book for elementary age children, but The Whaleship Essex: The True Story of Moby Dick was an excellent introduction for me into the events that inspired Herman Melville to write his masterpiece. The Essex left Nantucket and traveled around Cape Horn and up around the Pacific Coast of South America when the ship attempted to harpoon a whale in late November. The angry whale retaliated by striking the 238 ton whaling ship twice, causing the ship to sink. The crew abandoned the ship, and took to the three whaling boats. Of the twenty crewmen, only eight were rescued, and the rescues did not take place until February, March, and for the last three, April. It's a devastating story, and, now that I've read a condensed version, I want to read more. I'm off to reserve Nathaniel Philbrook's In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex to read next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whaleship Essex.

Finished Reading
August 3, 2019 – Started Reading
August 3, 2019 – Shelved
August 3, 2019 – Shelved as: adventure
August 3, 2019 – Shelved as: animals
August 3, 2019 – Finished Reading
September 17, 2019 – Shelved as: nonfiction

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Koivu You've read this one, so you probably don't need or want to read more on the subject, but if you do, you can't go wrong with Nathaniel Philbrick's In the Heart of the Sea. It's a good 'un!

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance I want to read this one now

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance Thank you for the recommendation.

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Fountain A children's version seems challenging. Perhaps the author omitted some of the grim facts. I haven't read either, but I saw the film The Heart of the Sea. It was visually impressive, but didn't wow me in the storytelling. Still it was fascinating to lear of the Essex - the inspiration for THE whale story.

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance I was able to find In the Heart of the Sea on Overdrive at my library.

message 6: by Jason (last edited Aug 04, 2019 10:51AM) (new)

Jason Koivu Joseph wrote: "A children's version seems challenging. Perhaps the author omitted some of the grim facts. I haven't read either, but I saw the film The Heart of the Sea. It was visually impressive, but didn't wow..."

I was not impressed by the film version. I found the book much more engrossing and full of interesting detail. Philbrick is great at making history come alive.

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance Yes, I have high hopes for the book.

message 8: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ You’ll love In The Heart of the Sea. It is so good. I second Jason’s comment!

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance Thanks, Elizabeth!