Rod Brown's Reviews > Paddle Your Own Canoe: One Man's Fundamentals for Delicious Living

Paddle Your Own Canoe by Nick Offerman

liked it
bookshelves: 2019-real-books

Started this as an audiobook with my daughter as we drove from Massachusetts to NYC and back during a little father-daughter Broadway excursion for her 19th birthday. We made it through the first half of the book, and once I flew home I finished it off in the printed form as the audiobook narration had mentioned I was missing out on illustrations.

Offerman is a pretty easy guy for me to relate to as we both grew up Catholic in the rural Midwest, just three years apart in age and 150 miles in distance. From the book, I find that we have a lot of attitudes in common when it comes to politics and other people. His drinking, drug use and asshole hijinks though remind me more of my brothers.

Anyhow, this is a pretty straightforward and entertaining celebrity memoir, fluffed out with some philosophizing sure to please Ron Swanson fans. I was a little surprised that Parks and Recreation is mentioned almost in passing with Offerman getting cast on the show in only the last 40 pages or so. Perhaps he was planning on getting a second volume out of his experiences there at a later time?

So don't go into this expecting a lot of celebrity gossip, as Offerman spends most of the time writing about his family and his high school and college years. Still fun though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paddle Your Own Canoe.

August 2, 2019 – Started Reading