Juli's Reviews > Things You Save in a Fire

Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center

bookshelves: netgalley-arcs

I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for my advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

This was delightful. It had depth, romance, a sliver of suspense, quirky characters, human emotions, and conflict.

We all know firemen are hot. We all can imagine being rescued by a hunk of a man and living happily ever after. This story is not that! Our fireman is actually a firewoman who needs no rescuing, who is stubborn and skilled, who can be abrasive, who has not discovered herself, and who is currently thrown into a situation that pushes her way, way, wayyyyy out of her comfort zone.

I enjoyed the growth of the main character. I enjoyed the budding romance. I enjoyed the countryside setting of the story. I personally could relate to the frayed mother-daughter relationship. Some aspects of the plot were a bit underdeveloped (like Cassie's sexual past for example) but overall it didn't take away from the plot progression. The emphasis of the book is healing, empathy, and forgiveness, and Katherine Center beautifully delivered that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Things You Save in a Fire.

February 17, 2019 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
February 17, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
February 17, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley-arcs (Kindle Edition)
August 3, 2019 – Started Reading