Max Rohde's Reviews > Joy, Inc.: How We Built a Workplace People Love

Joy, Inc. by Richard Sheridan

U 50x66

bookshelves: non-fiction, business, it

Reading through the first 10-20 pages of this book, I was expecting to find revolutionary ideas and practices that can help make work more joyful. I was quite surprised then that most of the practices portrayed are just what I believe most modern software development firms practice (the companies I work(ed) for certainly do). Specifically, a lot of the ideas in the book originate from the so called extreme programming methodology.

Notwithstanding many of the ideas feeling familiar, there were still some interesting points discussed:

- Having a really strong focus on working in peers, specifically with the intention to foster knowledge sharing.
- Strong focus on quality and automated testing
- Use pen and paper to design, plan and track progress of work
- Doing all estimation in hours, having estimation driven by the developers who will pick up the task
- Track each task in an iteration and whether it can be completed within the iteration (week)
- Use in person communication as much as possible
- Have promotions etc driven by peer evaluations
- Having recruitment driven by peers not managers
- Providing a child friendly environment, where employees can bring their children to work

As much as I think that the practices described I think a big part of the reason why Menlo Inc provides a joyful work environment might be due to the CEO being a good and capable leader. I believe that a good leader at the top of an organisation can make a big difference to the culture of an organisation and how pleasant it is to work there (see also Good to Great by James Collins, Level 5 leadership).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Joy, Inc..

Started Reading