skip thurnauer's Reviews > The Road Home

The Road Home by Richard Paul Evans

U 50x66

liked it

The Road Home is the 3rd and final book(s) in the Broken Road series. I enjoyed the book as much for where it takes place as the story itself. The series opens with motivational speaker and multimillionaire Charles James escaping a fiery death in an airplane accident when he fails to re-board after leaving his laptop in an airport shop. Everyone believes he has died in the accident and he doesn't disabuse people of this notion. Prior to the crash, Charles had been bothered by bad dreams and was doubting his values and even the advice he pitched to huge audiences of admirers, lessons that had made him such a successful speaker and writer. Instead of resuming his life of aggressive travel and luxury, he decides to walk the length of Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica, the residence of his ex-wife. Along the way, Charles meets a host of interesting people, some who lend him a hand when he finds himself in need. As he walks mile after mile, he changes, becoming more interested in the welfare of others, contradicting the "me first" message he had been preaching to his followers. This is a story of personal discovery and redemption. I enjoyed The Road Home and the Broken Road trilogy because Evans packs the story with numerous life-lessons that resonate beyond the boundaries of the novels. I also enjoyed the nostalgic voyage along route 66, a road I have traveled (by auto) in bits and pieces over many years. Finally, the novel struck another personal note because several years ago I met a man with a similar story. He survived a terrible plane crash in which most of the passengers perished. Challenged by survivor's guilt, he turned his back on a very successful career and devoted his life to serving Christ in an inner-city Chicago church. Second chances abound and not only in fiction. We just need to have the awareness and courage to change course when the opportunity arises.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road Home.

Finished Reading