Jonetta's Reviews > This Earl of Mine

This Earl of Mine by Kate Bateman

Georgiana Caversteed needs to be married to maintain her independence and to fend off a persistent cousin who only wants her fortune. She concocts a scheme to marry a convict headed for the gallows, which will allow her to be free to do as she pleases, spurn her cousin and continue running her deceased father’s fleet of merchant ships. It was a good plan but it went awry when she ends up married to Ben Wylde who was in Newgate Prison but is actually a Bow Street Runner working undercover. Instead of him being shipped off to Australia, he’s moving in her same social circles amongst the London ton.

The premise of this story is what drew me to the book and thankfully it lived up to that promise, surpassing my expectations. It begins right in the thick of things and I quickly learned that I was going to like both Georgiana (Georgie) and Ben. I’ve a fondness for these Bow Street Runners as they tend to bring excitement to a story and Ben does that and more. He’s flawed but has an honor code that I found admirable. Georgie is a mix of a bluestocking and an adventuress. Despite the limitations placed on her in this era, she’s a formidable businesswoman who I really liked.

Georgie and Ben’s developing relationship and romance is the main thrust of the story but there’s lots of excitement, intrigue and mischief. They don’t play games with each other, which makes for a more interesting story, especially as she’s experienced in all maritime matters and I learned a lot. Ben’s best friends Alex & Sebastian are also Runners and both were introduced here and set up for future books. I really enjoyed this story that seemed to offer so much more than a traditional romance and am excited about this trilogy. This is my first time reading anything by the author and I’m glad I took a chance. It’s a delightful story.

Posted on Blue Mood Café

(Thanks to St. Martin’s Paperbacks for my complimentary copy. All opinions are my own.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Earl of Mine.

August 2, 2019 – Shelved