Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰'s Reviews > The Wives

The Wives by Tarryn Fisher

67920559
"It’s all too perfect, I think. When things are that perfect, something is wrong."

description

Tarryn Fisher is and always will be one of my all time favourite authors because of The Opportunist. Whilst I am a big fan of her romance novels, The Wives was my first attempt at reading one of her psychological thrillers. This review is going to be slightly problematic because this book was both a mindfuck and a clusterfuck at the same time.
description
_______________

Dark and Unwavering

My first tip for this book would be to dive in not knowing much. Simply because everything hits ten times harder that way. The plot of TW is quite simple on the surface level, but as each chapter unfolds, you start questioning and doubting nearly every character. The deeper I fell into this story, the darker it became, the more I started feeling uncomfortable and uneasy. It pulled me in right from the start and every time I put it down, I wanted to pick it back up again.

Fisher portrays a complex commentary on the starving feeling of jealousy and envy through this novel that is unparalleled with anything I have ever read before. The storyline dealt with topics such as polygamy, manipulation, insecurities and abuse (not necessarily in that order). It was refreshing to see a different type of suspense, wherein the story grabs you with the obvious more than the mystery. I struggled with the writing at the start, I found the structure to be fragmented and the flow, jarring. It was a lot of "this then I did that then this..." but I soon adapted to it to find that it surprisingly suited the story very well.

"Something’s going on and I feel like I’m the only person in this marriage who doesn’t know what."

The main reason I'm giving this 3 stars is mainly because the latter end of the book lost me slightly. I felt like the twist could have been executed and developed better. The angle it took became very dysfunctional and it felt like the story was trying to squeeze the mindfuck towel dry. So much so that it soon became a clusterfuck. It felt like I was trying to keep up with every characters arc and story involvement that I was lost in the crowd. I also detached from our heroine, Thursday quite often. She was a very dichotomous character and throughout the story, I wanted her to stand up to her opinions and beliefs but she kept letting others treat her badly. There were times where she did in fact come through and push against the "doormat" stereotype but it was always met with a contradiction in her personality.

I do recommend this to anyone that wants to dip their toes into psychological thrillers, or even the regular readers in the genre. I would not throw caution to the wind however because this story can get very dark and gritty at the best of times. It hurt me at times because I empathized with Thursday's plight to its core, I found myself rooting for her situation even though I had my conflicts with her. I wish I could say that the ending left me completley satisfied but I felt like it was a very rushed ending and the story only unfolded in the last 20%. Beyond this, I enjoyed myself and definitely need a light read now.

Credits to the artist of the paintings

The quotes in this review are taken from an ARC and are subject to change preceding final publication.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wives.

August 2, 2019 – Started Reading
October 13, 2019 – Shelved as: trigger-warning
October 13, 2019 – Shelved as: unpopular-opinion
October 13, 2019 – Shelved as: unlikeable-characters
October 13, 2019 – Shelved as: what-the-actual-fuck

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)

❤️ Paulette  Alphas Review Happy Reading L💕ve ツ😘

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat Oooo.. this is on my list. Can't wait to hear how it is!

message 3: by Dita (new) - added it

Dita I am so hoping for this ARC! Are you enjoying so far?

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat Ooo... this is on my list! Can't wait to hear how it is!

message 5: by Karla (new)

Karla Excellent review, Alex! xoxo

message 6: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Lesar I’m one of those types of readers that as soon as I see the words Mindfuck and then quickly followed by the word Clusterfuck, my interest zooms in like 100% zoomed in. I’m trying really hard NOT to add this to my Tbr list 😂😂😂

message 7: by Bev (new)

Bev Great review, Alex.

message 8: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Fabulous review, Alex! Makes me feel better about being declined an ARC of this book, lol!!

message 9: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Excellent review Alex 🤗

message 10: by Malene (new)

Malene Super review, Alex!❤️

EmBibliophile Oh I was looking forward to reading this book! I get really annoyed when I start a good book just to get an unsatisfying ending. Glad you enjoyed it despite the latter end of the book! Amazing review as always, Alex! xx

message 12: by Richard (new)

Richard An excellent, fair and balanced review Alex :)

KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕ Nooooo this is one I'm really wanting to read!! 🙈Sorry you didn't enjoy it more!! xox

V💜Greedy~Thirst~For~Forbidden🖤 Great review my dear 💕❤️

message 15: by Bren (new) - added it

Bren This was such an interesting revew. I am adding this book. It sounds very unusual.

message 16: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Excellent review!!!

message 17: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Langford Brilliant review Alex!

message 18: by Sanaa (new) - added it

Sanaa I always enjoy reading your reviews, they're so honest! xx

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Excellent review doll!! I wish it was 5 stars for you ❌⭕️

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» SUPER review, lovely lady! I have to say I only recently read my first TF novel (Folsom) which I didn't like but I am curious about some of her other romances. I'll have to try those before this. Glad you enjoyed some aspects of this! :) xoxo

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ ❤️ Paulette Alphas Review wrote: "Happy Reading L💕ve ツ😘"

Thank you, Paulette! <3 x

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Kat wrote: "Oooo.. this is on my list. Can't wait to hear how it is!"

Reviews posted :)

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Dita wrote: "I am so hoping for this ARC! Are you enjoying so far?"

I hope you get your ARC, Dita! This was a very okay read for me.. i wished for so much more :/

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Karla wrote: "Excellent review, Alex! xoxo"

Thank you, Karla! <3 x

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Lorraine wrote: "I’m one of those types of readers that as soon as I see the words Mindfuck and then quickly followed by the word Clusterfuck, my interest zooms in like 100% zoomed in. I’m trying really hard NOT to..."

Ahahaha I can vouch that this book was definitely both those things ;) If you do pick it up, I hope it completley messes you up <3

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Bev wrote: "Great review, Alex."

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Alex! Makes me feel better about being declined an ARC of this book, lol!!"

Thank you, Meredith! Lol that's the best comment xD

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Maureen wrote: "Excellent review Alex 🤗"

Thank you, Maureen! <3 x

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Malene wrote: "Super review, Alex!❤️"

Thank you, Malene! <3 x

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ EmBibliophile wrote: "Oh I was looking forward to reading this book! I get really annoyed when I start a good book just to get an unsatisfying ending. Glad you enjoyed it despite the latter end of the book! Amazing revi..."

Thank you, Em! It definitely frustrates me... I had such high hopes for this one as well :/ I really wish it stayed amazing all the way through...

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Richard wrote: "An excellent, fair and balanced review Alex :)"

Thank you, Richard! :)

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕ wrote: "Nooooo this is one I'm really wanting to read!! 🙈Sorry you didn't enjoy it more!! xox"

Let's keep our fingers crossed that you LOVE it!!! I honestly think it's just a me thing. Thank you, Kat <3 x

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ V💜Greedy~Thirst~For~Forbidden🖤 wrote: "Great review my dear 💕❤️"

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Bren wrote: "This was such an interesting revew. I am adding this book. It sounds very unusual."

It is definitely very interesting, it had a great premise! I hope you love it, Bren <3 x

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Deanna wrote: "Excellent review!!!"

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Lucy wrote: "Brilliant review Alex!"

Thank you, Lucy! <3 x

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Sanaa wrote: "I always enjoy reading your reviews, they're so honest! xx"

Thank you, Sanaa! Love youuu x

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Excellent review doll!! I wish it was 5 stars for you ❌⭕️"

Thank you, Mel! You win some and lose some ;) <3

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» wrote: "SUPER review, lovely lady! I have to say I only recently read my first TF novel (Folsom) which I didn't like but I am curious about some of her other romances. I'll have to try those before this. G..."

Oooh My favourite romance of hers is The opportunist.. It's still one of my all time favorites book ever! I havent read Folsom yet, but might just stay clear of it for now lol. Hope you enjoy her other books more, babe <3 All the love x

Natalie ✩★ The Biblioholic ★✩ Incredible review, Alex! xo

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ i didnt read ur review yet, Alex, because im gonna read the book but im sure its great as always. I just wanted to say that i LOVED The Opportunist as well! :D

Kaceey Fabulous review Alex! I have this one coming up!🤗🌸📚

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Natalie wrote: "Incredible review, Alex! xo"

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ wrote: "i didnt read ur review yet, Alex, because im gonna read the book but im sure its great as always. I just wanted to say that i LOVED The Opportunist as well! :D"

Ahh thank you!! The opportunist was so heartwrenching! I remember crying so much while reading that ending :( All the love for you, Sharon x

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Kaceey wrote: "Fabulous review Alex! I have this one coming up!🤗🌸📚"

Thank you, Kaceey! I hope you enjoy it <3 x

message 46: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Lesar Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Lorraine wrote: "I’m one of those types of readers that as soon as I see the words Mindfuck and then quickly followed by the word Clusterfuck, my interest zooms in like 100% zoomed in. I’m trying r..."

I must admit that I have added it to my Maybe List, I just gotta see for myself 😂

message 47: by arini ★彡 (new)

arini ★彡 i didnt know she came out with a new book. i've read the opportunist but unfortunately didnt find it to my liking. then i tried her end of men series. i thought she was abondaning her writing career bcs there's been no news on the continuation of it. anyway, wonderful review alex!! sorry that it couldve been better had the ending not messed it up. <3

message 48: by Angela.M (new)

Angela.M Fab review Alex! 💋❤

message 49: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Great review babe ;) xoxo

message 50: by Mónica (last edited Oct 15, 2019 07:10AM) (new) - added it

Mónica BQ I've only ever read one book (Mud Vein) by Tarryn Fisher and I loved it, but haven't really been drawn by the blurbs of any of her other books that much. And even though your review is less than stellar it actually sounds like something I'd enjoy xD

« previous 1 3