Josh's Reviews > Dead Remnants

Dead Remnants by Armarna Forbes

Read 2 times. Last read August 16, 2019 to August 27, 2019.

This is one of the more enjoyable novels I've read this year: standout characters, a unique afterlife setting, and a fast-paced plot that rockets toward an exciting final showdown between the forces of light and dark (and the "warders" whose job it is to keep the peace between the two) with very personal stakes for the main character, Ashen.

I find myself still thinking about some of the characters and their fates even now -- not just Ashen, who I really liked, but also in particular the cowboy lawman Macajah and (my personal favorite) the young Cherokee, Angry Fox. Which gets me to my favorite element of the book: the flashbacks to various characters' lives just before they died.

That technique is used here similar to the best episodes of the TV show LOST, where flashbacks revealed a little more about each character and also added a piece of the puzzle to the overall mystery. And that's something else worth noting here -- there's definitely a strong mystery element at the heart of the story, i.e. why is the afterlife suddenly being threatened, how are the "bad" ghosts suddenly able to crossover to the living world, and what does it all have to do with Ashen and her death?

All in all, a very strong debut novel that kept me turning pages late into the night. Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Remnants.

Finished Reading (ebook Edition)
August 1, 2019 – Shelved
August 1, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
August 16, 2019 – Started Reading
August 19, 2019 –
21.0% "Loving it so far! Wonderful writing and really great characters."
August 26, 2019 –
81.0% "Loving it!"
August 27, 2019 – Finished Reading
August 28, 2019 – Shelved (ebook Edition)