Luna's Reviews > White Fox

White Fox by Chen Jiatong

bookshelves: publisher-review-copy-arc, weneeddiversebooks-ownvoices

White Fox has many layers within it's story. You have Dilah's adventure, the origin story of the legend that inspired the quest, the stories of how Dilah meets different characters. Some that continue the journey with the orphan fox cub and some that stay behind and then you have the human impact. So given that it's actual quite a quick read there is a lot to unpack there. Plus this is definitely BOOK ONE. So consider yourself warned.

Chen Jiatong's book reminds me of the storytelling you have in Ghibli films like Spirited Away. You have the story but if you pause a moment you notice all these other elements that are there to explore.

At times I didn't know if I loved this book or wanted to love it because of what it was trying to do. I really appreciate how the author if contrasting animal and human society. While the overall arc of the story and the message as a lot of depth the characters are relatively straightforward. Dilah is good, so are the friends made. Yet the other foxes are bad.

Given the ending it's impossible not to want to continue to find out what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Fox.

August 1, 2019 – Shelved