Simone's Reviews > Brazen and the Beast

Brazen and the Beast by Sarah MacLean

1581928

bookshelves: 2019, romance

While I didn't like this one as much as I loved Wicked and the Wallflower, I still loved it.

It's the story about Hattie, a 29-year-old spinster who has made it her mission to finally tie up the loose ends in her life and start the next year owning her own business with no husband tying her down. That is, until she meets Whit, a Barknuckle Bastard of Covent Garden, who's shipping business works outside the docks Hattie's family owns. But when Hattie goes to resolve one of her loose ends (her virginity), she finds Whit as the willing partner and they agree that he'll take her virginity if she can pay him back for some goods her brother lost.

I'm a little biased when it comes to this series because I fell in love with it immediately. Reading the second book in the series, I'm happy to report that this book was so good until the very end. The action/adventure feeling with a group of folks who grow up in the streets meeting young people within the ton; I love it. It meets all my requirements for a good adventure and romance story.

The best part was finding out more between Whit, Devil, and Ewan. This book dives a little bit into what the first one covered, but with detail. Whit is a chatty Cathy and had no problems divulging his sordid life and that brought a lot of color to the book. I think this book also sets up the final book (which I'm already putting on hold at my library).

The only flaws I really saw were that the sex scenes were long. Like take your time, light some candles, drink some wine, and play around for a bit before the big show long. And I'm not against long sex scenes per se, but it felt like it took up a big portion of this book.

I also noticed that Hattie didn't really do much to do the four things she planned: business, fortune, home, future. It almost seemed like the main concern she had was losing her virginity above everything else. She didn't hold up her end of the bargain either when it came to repaying Whit for his help in that department.

Other than that, such a good and quick read. I somehow finished this book in two days and I'm surprised by that, but the conversations move quickly, not a lot else is explained within this world, and the balls they attended were fun!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brazen and the Beast.

August 1, 2019 – Shelved