Ivy Bookdragon's Reviews > SCOUT

SCOUT by Sanjiv Lingard

Scout is a great book for YA readers who want to try crime mixed with first love, mental health and unusual gifts.

Scout had to grow up fast and she is taking care of her mother while working in a cafe without seeing a chance to go to college.
One night, her mother wanders off and Scout has to find her, using her strong empathic gift. This way, she gets the attention of a police officer, who happens to be an old friend of her mother, who is searching for a missing child.
It turns out Scout's mother had the same gift in her youth. And she was helping in the search for a missing child... the killer was never caught.

I liked this book for giving the reader a good look on what living with a person with dementia is like.
Scout is a young girl caught between caring for her mother, her job, first love and learning to harness her strong empathy.
The story was never boring and often had great twists. I just felt that it was a bit rushed by the end, I would have loved for the reveal of the killer to be a bit... more. It felt too sudden for all the build-up.

Still, I enjoyed reading Scout and the diversity in it. Also, it has great 80ies music references.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the eARC!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read SCOUT.

August 1, 2019 – Started Reading
August 1, 2019 – Shelved
August 2, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Sanjiv (new) - added it

Sanjiv Lingard Thanks for the review!