Katie (Bookwise)'s Reviews > Red, White & Royal Blue

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

bookshelves: 2019-releases, favorites, five-star, great-writing, the-feels, reviewed, want-to-own

First off I should probably clarify a Thing: I don't love a ton of contemporary. I read it, yes, but until now my favorites consisted of Emergency Contact and perhaps To All the Boys I've Loved Before. I read even fewer books from the Gothic-Romance section of the library. Nothing against the genre or those who read it, but it isn't super my niche.

Red, White, and Royal Blue combined so many of my loves I couldn't help but absolutely adore it. We got the squad goals, the brilliant sisters, the politics, the twisty yet impossibly romantic prose. We have genuinely awful situations that have to be figured out, strategy and family dynamics and Texas barbecue and social commentary that, in all honesty, I haven't ever seen done as well. There are emails and text messages and news articles and tweets and it seemed so close to reality I wish so badly November 2016 had gone as well as it did in this alternate time. If only. Perhaps my family isn't a politician family as much as it is a lawyer family, but the kinds of discussions- the final pages detailing the election- that reminded me of so many different childhood memories. A+ for socially-conscious, political families.

Anyway, I think that my feelings towards this book are summed up in the general reaction: reading until one in the morning, flailing for a solid half hour, then for whatever reason deciding that I absolutely must write the review ASAP so that it might post tomorrow. I loved this. I need my own copy so that I can read it over and over again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red, White & Royal Blue.

July 31, 2019 – Shelved