Jenny's Reviews > The Distant Hours

The Distant Hours by Kate Morton

F 50x66
Mar 10, 2012

liked it

Having thoroughly enjoyed The House at Riverton and The Forgotten Garden; I eagerly anticipated The Distant Hours. I have to confess I was somewhat disappointed. This is definitely not Kate Morton's best. The story takes the reader through 500+ pages of many twists and turns and many detailed descriptions only to arrive at an ending (if one perseveres that is) that leaves something to be desired. It definitely does not have the same impact as her previous novels. There were also a few loose ends, details that were introduced in the beginning of the story, that didn't seem to lead anywhere significant in the end. It is possible I may have missed them though as it took me a few months to wade through the plot. This was not one of those books where one places one's duties on hold in order to carve out time for reading. I still think Morton is an excellent writer, and The Distant Hours is one her *devoted* readers will want to look at and for that I give it three stars. If you've just been introduced to the author however, I recommend starting with The House at Riverton instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Distant Hours.