Silver James's Reviews > Celebrity in Death

Celebrity in Death by J.D. Robb

bookshelves: keeper, 2012-books-read, 2015-books-read, reread, audio-books, 2017-books-read, auto-buy-series, romance, scifi, suspense, 2020-books-read, favorite-authors
Read 4 times. Last read September 26, 2020 to September 28, 2020.

Celebrity in Death 2020 marathon: Not a fave but I do like the twists and turns of real cops investigating the murder of an actress portraying one of those cops.

2017 "listen": 4.5 stars, and I agree with my previous two reviews. Good book with interesting nuances.

2015 review: Sometimes, it's interesting to see what I thought about about a book the first time I read it and then compare to my thoughts after a reread. I have the advantage this time of having read the entire series back-to-back, to see the whole story, to rediscover the nuances of relationships and character growth, beyond the police procedural plots. This reread shows what I missed the first time around. Eve and Roarke are walking on eggshells, worried about each other after the events in Dallas, TX from the previous books. And now Eve is dealing with the social fallout from the "vid" (movie) filming of The Icove Affair. The actors look eerily similar to her cops and friends. When the actress portraying Peabody is murdered at a dinner party attended by all of them, Eve has a real puzzle on her hands. Working through this case brings Eve back to center, which helps center Roarke. They're still careful but getting back to who they are at the core. My favorite line from the book: He gave her unity when alone hurt.

[Original review - 2012] CELEBRITY is a return to Eve as we know and love her--sharp, focused, very much on her game and as sarcastic as ever. She returned from Dallas in the last book injured, shaky, and off kilter. The murder of an actress playing Peabody in the movie about the Icove Affair right under Eve's nose is just what she needs to settle back into herself. Roarke's part was smaller in this addition to the series, but that was okay. Eve is spreading her wings some and that's a good thing in this fan's point of view. I also hadn't figured out the murderer until right before Eve revealed the identity. That's always fun for me! As always, I can't wait for the next book in the series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Celebrity in Death.

March 10, 2012 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
March 10, 2012 – Shelved
March 10, 2012 –
March 11, 2012 –
March 11, 2012 –
page 100
March 11, 2012 – Shelved as: keeper
March 11, 2012 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
September 9, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-books-read
February 16, 2015 – Started Reading
February 17, 2015 – Finished Reading
February 18, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-books-read
February 18, 2015 – Shelved as: reread
April 16, 2017 – Started Reading
April 16, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
April 16, 2017 – Shelved as: audio-books