Anita's Reviews > The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya

The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya by Nagaru Tanigawa

Actual Rating: 2.5 Stars

Wow.

I didn't realize it took me a little over a month to finish this short book. I guess I just wasn't really getting into it... or I just found other books more enticing. The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya is a short story collection of random moments in the lives of our S.O.S. Brigade, and admittedly, it wasn't the best collection ever. In fact, I think I had set it aside for so long because the first three short stories were kind of boring. There were still little elements of anticipatory suspense for some of the mysteries in two of the five stories, but it DID take a little time before I got into the story far enough to become interested.

The last story in this collection, The Melancholy of Mikuru Asahina was only interesting after the big climax... but then it went flat again because of the nature of Asahina's character role--that everything in her life is "classified" and she can't talk about it. In essence, because she can't talk about the things going on as a time traveler, we, as the readers, cannot know why she had to be at that particular place at that particular time--we only know it was important. And that's all.

The fourth story, Where Did the Cat Go? was actually the most interesting short story in the collection, if a little juvenile and predictable. Though I guess the whole point was that the "murder mystery" set-up at Snowy Mountain Lodge was supposed to be predictable. I just hadn't pegged it to be kind of tacky as well.

The third story, Love at First Sight was just straight out strange and I didn't know what to make of it.

The first two stories were simply not memorable enough for me to draw any opinions, really. Hopefully the next book in the series will be more exciting... ?

***

2016 Reading Challenges:
Goodreads Reading Challenge
BookLikes Reading Challenge
Bookish Resolutions Challenge
Mount TBR Challenge

***

This review is also posted at Ani's Book Abyss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya.

March 10, 2012 – Shelved