Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews's Reviews > Good Guy

Good Guy by Kate Meader

liked it
bookshelves: guiltypleasures-slick

This is a really hard review for me to write, I loved the Chicago Rebels series so I was excited that author Kate Meader was going to continue in that world, and while I liked certain aspects of this story there were quite a few that didn’t work for me. There is no doubt this was a complex story which Ms. Meader is known for, but I felt there were so many different story lines going on that the romance and relationship between the hero and heroine was an afterthought. That being said, there was enough good in Good Guy to keep me reading and I have high hopes for this series going forward.

The title of this book was appropriate because our hero, Levi Hunt, is the epitome of a good guy. He ditched a promising hockey career to serve in the military, a Green Beret at that, and he had a really interesting reason for doing so. He volunteers at a homeless shelter/food kitchen because he wants to not for a publicity stunt for media attention. He is smart, respectful to everyone around him, and is especially interested in helping homeless veterans. He is also very private and doesn’t want his private life splashed around, so he’s not too excited when the team owner and manager tell him a reporter is going to be writing a feature on him. He’s a story; coming in as a rookie at age 30 after serving in the military, it’s good press for the team and they want him to cooperate. It just so happens that he knows the reporter, she was married to his best friend who died in combat and he was there when they met, he saw her first and wanted her, but she only had eyes for his friend, he was there when they got married and he was genuinely happy for them, and he was there when they laid him to rest and he kissed her that night which is just another reason he doesn’t want to do the interview.

I struggled greatly with the heroine, Jordan Cooke, which was a complete shocker as Ms. Meader has written some of my favorite heroines ever. She was all about integrity, but she took this job knowing she got it because of her connection to Levi even though it was minimal. She had a good reputation, has made a name for herself with her podcast, yet even knowing she got the job because she filled a quota (need more women covering sports) and her connection to the subject I had to question her integrity add in a scene in the book where in my opinion she did something really sketchy and unethical and my opinion of her dropped down even further. I hated the way she pushed Levi into trying to share parts of his life he didn’t want to share, that she goaded him on more than one occasion, that she was stupid enough to leave her laptop unattended in a press room filled with other reporters, and that despite feeling something was off about appearing on a show on ESPN she did so because she was hoping to further her career. On top of that she spoke out about the treatment of women who work with professional sports teams in any capacity yet she put up with players sending her pictures of their anatomy because she wanted to play nice and not get a reputation for being able to handle what the guys dish out.

The thing is I really loved Levi and I spent a good portion of this book feeling like Jordan wasn’t good enough for him. I just kept feeling like Jordan was playing a game, like she had something to prove by making Levi want her and he had wanted her for so long that he was happy to oblige, but I didn’t feel the heat, the want, the longing; when they were together physically for most of this book it felt hollow.

Thankfully Levi, the rest of the Rebel players, some retired Rebels, and the Chase sisters and their significant others were present in this story, that saved it for me, and provided a bit of a buffer for me from Jordan.

While I was a bit disappointed by with the heroine in Good Guy, the story held my interest and the fact that I’m highly interested in some of the other players, I am already looking forward to the next book in this series.

Review copy provided for a voluntary review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Guy.

Started Reading