Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > The Gingerbread Girl Goes Animal Crackers

2281988
Mar 10, 2012

bookshelves: format-picture-books
Read in March, 2012

In this sequel to The Gingerbread Girl, the title character receives a package of animal crackers from the people who baked her. The animal crackers escape, saying “We’re wild Animal Crackers, / Hear our fierce roar. / You can’t catch us, / We’re off to explore!” and the girl is given the difficult task of saving them from the same wolf who ate her brother and almost ate her too.

Throughout the book, the animal crackers speak in rhyme, both in the refrain mentioned above, and in their own individual verses, such as this one for the gorilla: “I’m strong and I’m fast, / Though I smell like vanilla. / You can’t catch me, / I’m the cracker gorilla.” Some of the animals’ verses are stronger than others, but the rhyme is definitely the most fun part of the book, and the refrain on each page encourages kids to interact with the book.

This book has a lot of story time possibilities. It would work well with themes like animals, cookies, and even gingerbread during the holiday season. It might also be interesting to compare the wolf in this story to other Big Bad Wolves in other fairy tales and nursery rhymes. The Gingerbread Girl Goes Animal Crackers would also pair well with Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg, The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School by Laura Murray and Peter Spier’s version of Noah’s Ark.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gingerbread Girl Goes Animal Crackers.

10/24/2016 marked as: read-2012