Lynne-marie's Reviews > The Marriage Plot

2084360
Mar 10, 2012

Recommended for: serious readers
Read from March 06 to 08, 2012 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** There should be a word for a book that recapitulates the major preoccupation of one of the main characters, especially when that book ends with another of the main character asking a pithy question about that construct. I don't know it if there is one. What I do know is that the lives of Madeline, Leonard and Mitchell became very important to me in the course of reading this book and not just because I identified with aspects of each of them, although I think in creating great characters, that is what major authors invite us to do. Three more different persons could not exist that these three, nor could their inner stories be more different, yet I think we feel compassion for all three. This is a major feat: to have a triangular situation and not to actively dislike one of the protagonists. (I do think Eugenides, for plots sake shows only one side of Bi-Polar disorder, but that was necessary for his story.) I pitied all three and sn't that the Greek definition of tragedy?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marriage Plot.