Andrea Stoeckel's Reviews > The Stonewall Reader

The Stonewall Reader by New York Public Library

bookshelves: lgbtq-2019, memoir-2019, non-fiction-2019, paperbook, sociology

“Experience the present as history [and] ourselves as history makers”
“The function of the homosexual is to make you uneasy”

Divided into three sections: Before,During and After Stonewall, this book condenses the time from the 50s to the 70s with primary source material found in the extant collection of The NYPL archives. From some of the first more quiet reports, to actual interviews with participants, to reporters’ records of the time it is, to me, a marvelous overview of a time historically overlapping my own struggles with Women's Lib and my own sexuality. The oldest pieces pre-Mattachine Society to the anger of the racial divide within all movements post Stonewall this Jason Baumann compilation should be read by anyone who relishes see history through those who made it.

This is a truly wonderful book...a historical sociology...a memoir...containing first person accounts of activists in what is now known as the LGBTQIA+ community but in the 40s and 50s know as “sick”. I was born in the 50s in New England, and spent part of my summers on Cape Cod, so I did see “gay people” even if I never met one. When Stonewall happened, it barely blipped in Rhode Island. There was more focus on the Black Power Movement. And when I finally first saw The Stonewall, it was boarded up, as was my own life. I learned a lot about the role of Stonewall in both this book and “Liberation and Resistance”, both edited for the New York Public Library by Jason Baumann.

Highly recommended 5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stonewall Reader.

July 30, 2019 – Started Reading