Em__Jay's Reviews > Happy Trail

Happy Trail by Daisy Prescott

30981936

Hmm… When I started reading this book, I felt like Daisy Prescott was introducing me to characters that I would struggle to like: The cynical hero with misanthropic tendencies. A flighty female (engaged six times!!!) with no job, just coasting along on her family’s money. Will they win me over? Or will I want to pitch the book across the room? I am happy to report there’s nothing to fear. HAPPY TRAIL proved to be a delightful read.

Let’s start with our heroine Olive Perry. She is far removed from my initial impression. In fact, I loved her and her journey throughout this book. Olive gets dumped by her boyfriend while hiking the Appalachian Trail. Coming from a non-outdoorsy background, it wasn’t even her idea to hike in the first place! But instead of hobbling to the nearest 5 star hotel and drawing a line under the entire experience, Olive not only decides to complete the trail section that was originally planned, but she decides to complete the entire thing! How’s that for tenacity? Olive truly was an inspiration, and I held her in ever-increasing regard as the book progressed. I found her character to be funny, witty and down-to-earth. I loved all the parts about the trail: the triumphs, the hardships, plus the characters Olive met along the way all added up to enjoyable story.

And then there’s Ranger Jay Daniels, or Ranger Smoking Hot, as Olive names him upon first sight. Jay’s lifetime of experiences as a half-American/half-Japanese person has impacted how he deals with people. He’s quite anti-social and withdrawn. He’s earnest and serious in his opinions and doesn’t care to connect in a shallow manner. This is very different to the people Olive is typically surrounded by, and she is intrigued.

This romance between these two is definitely not smooth sailing. Physical attraction is not an issue – there’s plenty of that. But we’re talking about two very different people, living very different lives, facing very different futures and the obstacles at times seem insurmountable. What I appreciated about Jay and Olive is that they considered the opinions of the other. Perhaps not immediately, but they talked, and then reflected on what was said. They were working towards a common goal: a united Jay and Olive.

HAPPY TRAIL was definitely a satisfying reading experience. I can’t wait to see who’s up next in the Park Ranger series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happy Trail.

July 30, 2019 – Shelved