Samantha's Reviews > The Cater Street Hangman

The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry

A very satisfying read, both for the murder mystery (which I didn't solve for myself too far before the reveal) and for the evocation of an era: Victorian.

Someone is murdering young women on Cater Street, which is not the sort of place where these things happen. The story follows Charlotte, the middle daughter of a family who becomes involved when their housemaid falls victim to the killer.

Charlotte is an odd duck--too forthright in speaking her mind to be considered strictly feminine--so of course I liked her right away. Her position in the family is already fraught with drama and sisterly rivalries and when considering suspects for the crimes casts suspicion on those closest to her, Charlotte's world view is forced to expand.

My favorite aspect of the book was the portrayal of the effects of the tension of not knowing who the murderer was and fears related to who might next fall victim. The stress heightened all the conflicts between characters and blew small secrets into large betrayals.

The romance was secondary, but still quite believable and affecting. I'll likely return for more of this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cater Street Hangman.

July 30, 2019 – Started Reading