♆ BookAddict ✒ La Crimson Femme's Reviews > The Importance of Being Scandalous

The Importance of Being Scandalous by Kimberly  Bell

bookshelves: shameless2018, historical, prize, romance

Historical romances were how I first started with my taboo romance readings. The forbidden fruit my mother kept from me only made it that much sweeter. Starting with Barbara Cartland back when I was a tender age of 13, my how the genre grown. Full disclosure, this book is a prize from a Shameless 2018 spoon game. I had to force myself to pick up the book because I had long left the historical romance world. Unless there is kinky scenes or m/m lovers, I tend to shy away from this genre. To my pleasant surprise, I really enjoyed new to me author, Ms. Bell.

This story has all the elements I enjoyed in this genre - class crossed lovers, bluestocking female and an unconventional male. Meet Amelia and Nicholas - childhood friends who want to be more. Their crush grows over the years and when Nicholas goes for his travels and returns, he comes back a man that Amelia loves even more. Unfortunately, she is otherwise engaged... literally to another man. This plot device is a tried and true one for historical romances. Ms. Bell does a lovely job with this obstacle. Nicholas's sweet fumbling ways changes as he becomes more certain of what he wants. The help from his scandalous friend does make a difference - or shall we say a bad yet beneficial influence. Amelia may want to do some scandalous things, but at heart, she is proper girl who strains at the edicts of a patriarchal society.

The adventures or mishaps depending on a person's viewpoint in this story are fun and amusing. Fortunately nothing too bad happens. Mostly because Amelia's foolhardiness and lack of maturity is tempered by two caring men. All I can say is Nicholas has his hands full with Amelia. And perhaps a bit of domestic discipline would help for a less exciting yet still fulfilling married life.

This historical romance is recommend to all readers who enjoy poking fun at conventions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Importance of Being Scandalous.

Started Reading