Laurie's Reviews > The Naked King

The Naked King by Sally MacKenzie

Mar 09, 2012

bookshelves: own, loaned
Read from March 09 to 14, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I was really enjoying this book until I got to the last chapter and its disappointingly abrupt ending. I found it very difficult to believe that Anne would be able to get over such a traumatic experience in only a couple of hours. I guess mind-blowing sex is supposed to be the cure for all ills - at least, that's what the author seems to be implying. I really would have liked to see another chapter or an epilogue that played out a few days/weeks later, after Anne had had time to get over the shock of her abduction and Lord Brentwood's death. That would have allowed the author to tie up several loose ends, such as whether or not Evie and Nick ended up together. That seemed to be the way things were heading, but it was difficult to tell whether they were actually falling in love or if it was just a flirtation. Also, given that this is (for now, at least) the end of the series, it would have been nice to have an epilogue set at Stephen and Anne's wedding that allowed us to check in on the characters from the previous books. A few were mentioned and/or briefly appeared in this story, but I would have liked a more comprehensive wrap-up.

My other problem with this book was the timeline - I'm pretty sure that the events of the first 200+ pages all take place on the same day, and the entire book only spanned maybe 3 or 4 days, so the relationship between Anne and Stephen felt REALLY rushed. I did believe that they loved each other and would be happy in their marriage, but it still felt unnecessarily fast to me. It wouldn't have been difficult to space things out a bit, and not much explanation would have been required. For example, the author could have set the Kenderlys' ball a few days later, rather than having it take place on the evening of the day when Stephen and Anne first met. The interim could have been covered in a short paragraph that mentions Stephen paying calls on Anne and her siblings or some such. IMO that would have made the book flow better and I wouldn't have felt like everything was happening so fast.

Despite my disappointment with the ending, I really did like this book. It had a few LOL moments, which I always enjoy. Also, I think the author handled Anne's rape very well. It was completely believable that she would have blamed herself for accompanying Brentwood to the garden and would not even have recognized it as rape until she discussed it with Stephen years later.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Naked King.