Nen & Jen's Reviews > The Dawnvel Druids

The Dawnvel Druids by William         Collins

it was ok
bookshelves: arc, fantasy, young-adult

ARC provided by LibraryThing Early Reviewers for an honest review.

I found myself conflicted while reading this book. The story itself had potential and while I can usually look past flaws in editing, they drew my attention away from the story a bit too often. For that reason, I gave this book 2.5 stars.

“Well, they’re all a bit weird. More than a bit, actually […] Some of the stories about them are positively bonkers. Loads of people think they’re in some sort of cult who do dark rituals or something.” - Mo

The Dawnvel Druids is a fantasy novel about a group of teenage druids charged with protecting the curious town of Dawnvel from the threat of other supernatural creatures - namely, a race of evil faeries known as the Cairnath and their gargoyle minions. Bobby, a seemingly regular boy, gets drawn into the battle between the druids and the Cairnath and comes to realise that there’s a lot about his past that he has yet to discover.

I liked the characterisation in this book. Each character had a distinct personality that was consistent and worked well with the story. Bobby was likeable and I appreciated the little bits of humour he offered. It was also interesting to see creatures I hadn’t previously read about. The story had a clever take on gargoyles that I hadn’t expected, and I was pleasantly surprised by the absence of the more ‘mainstream’ supernatural creatures.

The mystery was also well written. There were many questions raised throughout the story that urged me to read on, and that was definitely one of my favourite aspects of this book. However, the ending leaves a lot of these questions unanswered. I understand that this was probably intentional in anticipation of the next book, but I didn’t get the sense that there was a clear resolution for this story. It almost felt like I’d stopped reading halfway through, and while I'm the type to enjoy a good cliffhanger, it might frustrate others.

Overall, I really do think The Dawnvel Druids has potential. With additional editing, there is an interesting story here that I would likely continue reading. Unfortunately, I couldn’t give this particular book a higher rating, but I look forward to seeing how the story develops.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dawnvel Druids.

Finished Reading