Lois's Reviews > The Last Thing You Surrender

The Last Thing You Surrender by Leonard Pitts Jr.

I found this an amazing book and feel that I cannot do justice in my review! Pitts did an amazing job of telling a very unique story of both WWII and the Jim Crow south. The characters are intertwined and the story spans the world - from Atlanta, to boot camp, to Germany, to Japan and points in between. Pitts handlingof the different locations and different characters is done so well. It was a relief, really! Just when I thought I could not handle one more description of war, there would be a switch to Atlanta. Not the atrocities were any less, but they were different! The book is very graphic and at times it seemed too much! But I do not doubt that it was realistic and I very much appreciate having read it. The hint of hope at the end meant a lot to me. After experiencing so much prejudice and hate it was so easy to hate. But the main characters saw that hate wasn’t changing anything. “I saw so much hate. And I felt so much hate. You almost had to feel hate in order to survive. It just seems to me hat where there is so much hate, there has to be a corresponding love — there has to be, Ivan if sometimes we can’t see it or make sense of it.” What has changed? Not all that much, really! Perhaps it is time for less hate and a lot more understanding and love!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Thing You Surrender.

July 28, 2019 – Shelved