Julie's Reviews > The Saturday Night Ghost Club

The Saturday Night Ghost Club by Craig Davidson

bookshelves: 2019, cultural, e-book, fiction-literature, ghost-stories, coming-of-age

The Saturday Night Ghost Club by Craig Davidson is a 2019 Penguin Books publication.

A stirring and bittersweet coming of age story!

Jake is a bit different from other kids his age. But, he’s nowhere near as eccentric as his lovable Uncle Calvin. Calvin owns an occult shop and has a hotline for UFO sightings or other paranormal occurrences. Naturally, he knows all about the local ghostly legends. So, when Jake makes a couple of new friends, Calvin invites them to join his ‘Saturday Night Ghost Club”.

Jake feels like he’s a part of a special group and enjoys spending time with Calvin. However, there is an underlying sense of unease as one begins to suspect there is more to Calvin’s ghost stories than a few good thrills and chills.

Jake narrates this story, as an adult, reciting his adventures through the eye lens of his twelve- year old self. Jakes occupation often urges him to ponder the many mysteries of the mind, especially where our memories are concerned.

When it comes to horror or the paranormal, ghost stories, which I hope are making a comeback, are always a favorite of mine. I also love the local legends each town seems to have, and here in my neck of the woods we have one famous enough to make it into a few ghost -story books.

So, I thought this part of the story was fun, because I may have gone on a few paranormal investigations myself in the early eighties- although I was little older than Jake. We usually ended up scaring ourselves to death more than anything else. So, this story does stir up one’s feelings of nostalgia.

Niagara Falls, though I've never been there, seems like an awesome setting for this short story, creating just the right tone and atmosphere for a good ghost story, while exposing a darker, secret part of the location we don’t typically consider.

I think many people can recall that time in our youth when a part of us desperately wanted to hold onto the innocence of our childhood, while simultaneously longing to prove our maturity, to understand the unspoken and still hidden mysteries of adulthood. It’s a wistful feeling, saying goodbye to one’s childhood as we step over the threshold and take our first tentative steps towards adulthood.

Jake, who has already taken a few lumps in life, learns a bit sooner, and in a more personal way, just how dark the world can be. The summer of his twelfth year understandably stands out in Jake's memory- so much so it most assuredly propelled him towards his ultimate career choice, as he devotes his life to learning and correcting the vast mystery and complexities of the human brain.

His recollections are vivid, and his tone is as introspective as it is retrospective. Although sadness and helplessness lie just underneath the surface, Jake's fond sentimentality often creeps into his voice as his recollections surge to life.

Because I was unfamiliar with this author, I had to do a little research to see what else he may have written. I was very surprised to learn the author also writes under the name “Nick Cutter’. Looking at those books, it is obvious this story certainly is not his usual style. Just goes to show how versatile he can be and how far he could take his talent, if he chooses to.

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Saturday Night Ghost Club.

July 28, 2019 – Shelved
August 5, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction-literature
August 5, 2019 – Shelved as: ghost-stories
August 5, 2019 – Shelved as: coming-of-age
August 23, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)

message 1: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Terrific review Julie!🤗💖

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Terrific review Julie!🤗💖"

Thank you so much, Kaceey!! 😊💖😊

message 3: by KAS (new)

KAS Super and thoughtful review, Julie!! You reminded me how me and my friends would constantly play with the Ouiji Board ;)) ❤️🌼❤️

Julie KAS wrote: "Super and thoughtful review, Julie!! You reminded me how me and my friends would constantly play with the Ouiji Board ;)) ❤️🌼❤️"

Thank you, KAS!! Oh, yes, I did that too! 💖😊💖

message 5: by JanB (new)

JanB Awesome review Julie! I loved your personal stories and now I'm curious about your local ghost story. I remember telling stories with my friends in high school - scaring ourselves with all the urban legends like 'The Claw', lol!

message 6: by JV (semi-hiatus) (last edited Aug 23, 2019 11:19PM) (new) - added it

JV (semi-hiatus) Magnificent review dear Julie! 🤗 I'd love to investigate anything paranormal too just for the thrill and curiosity of it! 👻

message 7: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Fantastic review Julie! I’ve always been fascinated with the paranormal too! Although I’d be terrified to use an Ouiji board! 💕❤️

message 8: by Richard (new)

Richard Sounds like a fun, spooky read ......... great review Julie :)

message 9: by leslie hamod (new)

leslie hamod Beautiful review dear friend! Very descriptive and wonderfully rendered!😘

message 10: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Julie, this brought back me memories of our local ghost , the girl dressed in white who disappeared and now roamed the park ! Glad you enjoyed it.

Julie JanB wrote: "Awesome review Julie! I loved your personal stories and now I'm curious about your local ghost story. I remember telling stories with my friends in high school - scaring ourselves with all the urba..."

Thank you, Jan!! This book was very cool, especially for such a short story. Google 'The Haunting of McDow's Hole- Hwy 6 in Texas'- to learn more about our own rural ghost story!

Julie Angela M wrote: "Julie, this brought back me memories of our local ghost , the girl dressed in white who disappeared and now roamed the park ! Glad you enjoyed it."

Thank you so much, Angela!! 💖

Julie leslie hamod wrote: "Beautiful review dear friend! Very descriptive and wonderfully rendered!😘"

Thank you so much, my sweet friend! 💖

Julie Richard wrote: "Sounds like a fun, spooky read ......... great review Julie :)"

Thank you, Richard!! 😊😊

Julie Nicola wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! I’ve always been fascinated with the paranormal too! Although I’d be terrified to use an Ouiji board! 💕❤️"

Thank you, Nicola!! I played with the Ouji board a few times when I was a kid. I didn't have much luck, though.👻

Julie JV (semi-hiatus) wrote: "Magnificent review dear Julie! 🤗 I'd love to investigate anything paranormal too just for the thrill and curiosity of it! 👻"

Thank you, JV!! Yes, just for fun. I never saw a ghost, but wanted to- kind of. 👻

message 17: by Antoinette (new) - added it

Antoinette Great review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed this one.

message 18: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fabulous review, Julie! Glad you enjoy!

Julie Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie! Glad you enjoy!"

Thank you, Meredith!! 💖

Courtney Jones Loved this book :)

Julie Courtney wrote: "Loved this book :)"

I did too, Courtney!! 💖

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Fab review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed this ghost story. 💕

Julie Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Fab review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed this ghost story. 💕"

Thank you, dear Mary Beth!! 💖

message 24: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Fantastic review, Julie!

Julie Paula wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie!"

Thank you so much, Paula!! 😊💖

message 26: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Added to my TBR! Great review!

Julie Amy wrote: "Added to my TBR! Great review!"

Thank you, Amy!! Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did!! 💖

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Awesome review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed :) <3

message 29: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Fantastic review, Julie! It's always akin to magic when you find an author you enjoy that has an extensive backlist. Hope you find some others to indulge in.

message 30: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fantastic review Julie! 💕🤗

Julie Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Awesome review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed :) <3"

Thank you, dear Alex!! 💖

Julie Melissa wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! It's always akin to magic when you find an author you enjoy that has an extensive backlist. Hope you find some others to indulge in."

Thank you, Melissa!! I hope so too! 💖

Julie Maureen wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! 💕🤗"

Thank you so much, Maureen!!💖

message 34: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Very nice review, Julie! 💕 I just grabbed a copy of this from the library.

Julie Michelle wrote: "Very nice review, Julie! 💕 I just grabbed a copy of this from the library."

Thank you, Michelle!! This is a poignant story. I hope you enjoy it!! 💖

message 36: by Fergus (new) - added it

Fergus Wonderful encapsulation of a book with promise, Julie! This one I WILL get.

message 37: by Fergus (new) - added it

Fergus And I now HAVE it🙏❗️TYSM, Julie!

Julie Fergus wrote: "And I now HAVE it🙏❗️TYSM, Julie!"

Awesome!! I hope you love this one as much as I did!! Happy reading!! 😊

Michael Fierce Great review, Julie! Sure makes me want to read it! Putting it in my Top Ten Most Wanted -- Thanx!

Julie Michael Fierce wrote: "Great review, Julie! Sure makes me want to read it! Putting it in my Top Ten Most Wanted -- Thanx!"

Thank you, Michael!! Enjoy!! 😊

Michael Fierce I'm sure I will! ☺

message 42: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Lovely review! 💗🔰😊 I used to watch Ghost Hunters, but it scared me too much after awhile 😱

Julie *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Lovely review! 💗🔰😊 I used to watch Ghost Hunters, but it scared me too much after awhile 😱"

Thank you, TQ!! This is a really lovely story. More coming of age than anything else. 💕