Bill's Reviews > Last Days

Mar 09, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: horror
Read from May 07 to 10, 2012

I didn't like this as much as my Goodreads friends.
I found it had very thin character development, and when that's missing, I have a hard time caring about what's happening to them.

Last Days moves at a fast pace, and plot developments are quick, so I can
see how this type of read will appeal to a lot of people. I'm a little more on the slow burning end of things. I prefer a story to take its time with its players. But this was a pair of novellas, so I guess you can't blame the author for this being what it is.

It deserves to be read by a lot of people, though. Evenson has come up with probably the most bizarre murder investigation I've ever seen a man become involved with. For that, I can't give this any less than 3 stars, so there it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Days.

10/21/2016 marked as: read

Maciek Good choice, Bill! It was one of my pleasant surprises. I really surprised myself with how much I enjoyed this book.

Bill Thanks Maciek, I needed that boost. This one is having a hard time following up The Devil All the Time. I can't get that one out of my head...I loved it.

Maciek I hope that you will end up enjoying this one as much as I did. I can't compare it to Devil, since the two are very different, but this one appealed to me more on different levels.

Bill Oh for sure...what I meant was that Devil had hooked me so badly that, after two days, I'm still hooked.

So this poor book has to try to command my attention while the other is still lingering in my mind. It's pretty good so far though, I'm 30% in...

Maciek Actually this one is still lingering in my mind, and I was completely hooked on it! It did provide me a lot of fodder for thought and possible interpretations and analysis. I hope it will touch you in the same way.

Bill Thanks Maciek...it didn't do a whole lot for me, unfortunately. Sure, the concept of the whole thing was certainly food for thought, and for the idea alone I liked it. But I really didn't feel anything for the characters, so it fell a bit short for me.

Maciek Sorry to hear that, Bill. I did enjoy the characterization in this book a whole lot, and in the end couldn't give it any less that 5 stars.