Siv's Reviews > Glory Happening: Finding the Divine in Everyday Places

Glory Happening by Kaitlin B. Curtice

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction-christian

Curtice takes life's simple moments and reveals their glory for those who have eyes to see. Sometimes the pace feels oh-so-slow, but I stuck with it, reading slowly over weeks as a way of remembering that my life, too, has glory written all over it. My favorite story came right at the end, #49: Hijab. Its beauty of connection had me in tears.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau (18)

"A world of reading brings a bounty far beyond us, and we find it creates a legacy to stretch far past us into every generation." (27)

A mystic: "one who has moved from mere belief systems or belonging systems to actual inner experience" Richard Rohr (29)

"I see that there are more facets to [Jesus'] being than we ever give him credit for, and that if we want to see them, it's going to take a great deal of time and vulnerability, a great deal of searching the open land of our hearts. His capacity for loving me will never be shaken as I search the wrinkle lines of his face, as I touch the palms of his rough-carpenter hands." (30)

Speak.
Speak of the world to us.
You are the wildest and holiest experience.
You are the greatest adventure.
You are the best miracle-maker.
You are the trust lover.
Your voice echoes inside of us,
digs its way into our bones and veings,
our senses and brains,
into the most hollow corners,
into the darkest spaces.
Oh, you fill us.
Fill us again and again,
in every experience, glory abounding.
Amen. (32)

"...the mystery of God takes us in and shelters us when we least expect it and most need it, to stay alive and tethered to everything that is good." (44)

"...when I lean into pain and let it run its sacred and difficult course, it teaches me something." (53)

Pastor Julie's Benediction
May the god who seeks you find you when you fall.
May the God who loves you take delight in your living.
May the God who sends you send you now with joy.
For in your gladness and in your grieving;
in your brokenness and in your healing;
in your faithfulness and in your leaving,
the God who made you and redeemed you
is the God who keeps you, still.
Amen. (117)

"...when we can't see what's ahead, a path is cleared, and we are no longer afraid, for glory lines the path at our feet, benedictions abounding." (118)

You remind us of who we once were,
who we are, and you challenge us to
become someone new in the days ahead.
For this, we are forever grateful,
because you never let us go
and you never stop honoring
who we are in the in-between times. (159)

O God of Mystery,
If I have tried to place you into a box,
break it.
No mold can hold you. (167)

Everywhere
you are solace
and everywhere we have a chance
to find our rest and our peace. (170)

"Sometimes it feels as if humanity is slipping away from us, that we've lost sight of each other adn ourselves, that we've forgotten how to care, how to be alive, how to play and enjoy each other's company. But then we come to the fountain." (174-175)

"What matters and what is dust in the wind? Do our little moments of joy or pleasure, our pings of grief and stress, mean anything...?
Absolutely. Our moments matter because our humanity matters, and if we can't find it in the chocolate aisle or by the assorted rice in the middle of our local marketplace, we will have a hard time finding it anywhere." (180)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glory Happening.

Started Reading