Sharon's Reviews > Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No, to Take Control of Your Life

Boundaries by Henry Cloud

bookshelves: nonfiction

I'm not a huge fan of "Christian-lite" self-help writing because it so often feels formulaic, especially when the authors start each chapter with cheesy anecdotes from their own practice. However, I'm giving Cloud and Townsend a pass because the ideas put forth in Boundaries have so completely revolutionized my view on the subject. The authors give solid Biblical backing for why boundaries are important, how they are formed, and how to set them in your own life. I especially appreciated that they tackled several key myths about boundaries (i.e. "Won't I hurt others if I set boundaries?" "Aren't Christians supposed to be generous and self-sacrificing?" "Isn't it selfish to think about yourself?") Even the anecdotes felt useful in this book as they gave practical and clear examples of the boundary-making process. Despite being written from a Christian perspective, I think this book would be useful for anyone who struggles with boundaries in his or her life (whether setting and maintaining them, feeling guilty about having them, or having trouble respecting the boundaries of others).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boundaries.

Started Reading
March 7, 2012 – Finished Reading
March 9, 2012 – Shelved
February 1, 2014 – Shelved as: nonfiction

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Courtney well said! I have the very same feelings towards this book. it's helped me grow so much

message 2: by Savneek (new)

Savneek You lost me at Biblical backing. Being an atheist, I'm not gonna read this. I'm glad it left a good impression on you though and your review is very well written. Thank you.

message 3: by Boradicus (new) - added it

Boradicus Thanks for reviewing this. I'm glad to see that this book is written from a Christian perspective. While I am sure that you would not need to be a Christian to get some sound direction from such a book as this, I am glad to know that the book addresses an area that can definitely be not very well defined for Christians. I'm also glad that it is not, as you put it, a Christian-lite (self-help) type book. Self sacrifice is a Christian value that I don't think can easily be addressed with pat answers with respect to boundaries. Although I have yet to read this book, I have done some of my own thinking about boundaries and scripture and have had some discussions about this topic with others as well. One of the questions that came up was *when* is it appropriate to make a sacrifice for someone else - and what level of sacrifice? I think every situation is different, and that there needs to be some flexibility rather than just strict rules - which can be legalistic. Anyway, I am sure there is something that I can learn from this book! Thanks again!