Laurel-Rain's Reviews > What Happened to Hannah

What Happened to Hannah by Mary Kay McComas

Mar 09, 2012

liked it
Read from March 09 to 16, 2012

Violence was an ongoing part of Hannah Benson's childhood. Then, on one tragic night, she ran as if her life depended on it.

Now, twenty years later, a call from her past brings everything about that life front and center. Grady Steadman, her old boyfriend, is now the Sheriff in Clearfield, Virginia, and his news is about to change her life again. Her mother has died, and her sister's daughter Anna is now in need of her care. Yes, her sister Lucy died five years before. But nobody could find her to tell her about it.

Going back to Clearfield will undoubtedly also bring back the memories...And the secrets Hannah has been keeping could threaten everything she has worked so hard to build.

Throughout this enticing story, I could connect with Hannah, her niece Anna, and even with Grady. Each brought something special to the story about building new lives and protecting a future...in spite of the past.

But what will Grady do to resurrect the dark secrets Hannah is carrying? How might the events of that one night destroy the new family Hannah is building with Anna?

The secret hovering over everything in the pages of "What Happened to Hannah: A Novel" was obviously something big, but I guessed most of it early on. Then when the final pieces fell into place, I thought: that was it? I was a bit disappointed at how the dark foreshadowing throughout suggested so much more. And lest I introduce spoilers, that's all I'm saying. But I wasn't happy at how the secret finally unfolded and how it left me feeling...deflated.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the story and would recommend it to those who relish family drama and the unfolding love match that inevitably brings a happy ending. But...3.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened to Hannah.