Christa Seeley's Reviews > Out of the Silent Planet

Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis

Mar 09, 2012

bookshelves: blog-tour, genre-fantasy, sent-for-review, genre-science-fiction
Read from April 04 to 17, 2012

Originally reviewed on Christa's Hooked on Books

As a long time Narnia fan I was almost ashamed to admit I had never read C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy. So when TLC Book Tours offered me the chance to review the new ebook I jumped at the chance. Judging by the title and the eye catching cover I was expecting an exciting science fiction adventure. What I got was a bit different, but an interesting read none the less.

Out of the Silent Planet starts out with a kidnapping. Ransom stumbles across something he shouldn't see while on vacation and next thing he knows he's on a space shift on its way to the planet Malacandra. Not quite the vacation he was expecting! This is where the story takes off and the majority of my favourite scenes take place immediately following their embarkment into space. C S Lewis has a knack for describing a scene in such away that it immediately pops up crystal clear in your mind. I felt like I was in on the space ship as it hurled towards Malacandra and once on the planet I could easily picture the new world and the creatures on it.

However at this point what I expected to be a science fiction novel quickly turns into a fantasy adventure. This isn't a complaint on my part, it just wasn't what I was expecting. Ransom explores a good chunk of the planet and meets a variety of characters. In this way Out of the Silent Planet sometimes felt like Narnia but with an older main character. I liked this change in direction, but would have liked a little more technical stuff mixed in - what can I say I'm a die hard Trekkie! I like my space stuff!

Out of the Silent Planet is a thought provoking read and I can definitely see why it has made it into the list of sci-fi/fantasy classics. At times it's message can be a little heavy handed but it is an important one so I can forgive it's constant repitition. True to form C.S. Lewis has provided us with a fabulous fantasy novel, that's rich with morality and hope for the triumph of good over evil.

Final recommendation: For those looking for your typical science fiction novel you may be a tad disappointed, but if your open to fantasy as well you'll find an enjoyable read in Out of the Silent Planet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of the Silent Planet.

04/04/2012 page 52