Phrynne's Reviews > One Good Deed

One Good Deed by David Baldacci

bookshelves: 5000-2019

In One Good Deed Baldacci takes us back to 1949 and the town of Poca City, USA. Historical mystery no less! Is this a new direction for this author? And is this going to be a new series?

I hope so because the main character, Aloysius Archer, is excellent and definitely worth following up. As the book commences he has just left prison having served a few years for a crime he did not commit. He is young, smart and good looking and probably a bit too nice for his own good. Prison has worn some of that from him and events in Poca City eventually help him develop a healthy amount of suspicion regarding the intentions of others.

I enjoyed every minute of this book. Baldacci always writes well and for this one he has done an enormous amount of research. People's attitudes, what they drove, what they drank and smoked - all these details are there to give the reader a really good feel for the atmosphere in small town USA in the late 40s early 50s.

There is a short court scene at the end which is very entertaining and ties up all the details of who killed who. It also presents a nice, last minute surprise. Very enjoyable and highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Good Deed.

July 28, 2019 – Started Reading
July 28, 2019 – Shelved
July 28, 2019 – Finished Reading
August 11, 2019 – Shelved as: 5000-2019

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe Great review Phrynne.

Phrynne Thank you Dale :)

message 3: by Jonetta (new) - added it

Jonetta I was debating whether to add this one and you’ve convinced me to get it, Phyrynne. Excellent review!

Phrynne Thanks Jonetta and I m pretty sure you will like it:)

message 5: by Jonetta (new) - added it

Jonetta On my library wishlist.

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* I am looking forward to this one. I have it on hold on Overdrive. ❤

Phrynne Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "I am looking forward to this one. I have it on hold on Overdrive. ❤"

Enjoy 🙂