AdAstra's Reviews > Wide Awake

Mar 09, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: ebook, owned, rubbish
Read on June 27, 2013

I've been in a bit of a book rut for some time now ... and I've been mostly reading books that actually require my attention and force me to think. They take a bit more time to finish. So I picked this book up because I needed a bit of a break.
At first, I liked it a lot. It was intriguing, it pulled me in and I wanted to keep on reading. It was easy, it didn't require much thought. It was like watching a movie. But when I got to the middle it started getting worse and worse and in the end, I had to force myself to finish.

The plot idea seemed good at the beginning. I don't think I've read any books that talked about ghosts and haunted people. It was refreshing, it was new. Maybe that's why I thought I'd like it. But the action never picked up. Even when supposedly bad things started happening, I was bored. Nothing seemed explained enough. Too many random people were involved, none of them explained or introduced properly. The story wasn't very interesting and it didn't leave me on the edge of my seat. I simply wanted to get to the end of the book as fast as possible.

Kayla frustrated me. A lot. She wasn't particularly smart, she seemed spoiled and acted like a typical girl. I hated her. She had no depth and was in general as interesting as a spoon. Hunter was the same except for a few seconds when we suddenly realized he could dissapear too. That was honestly the only plot twist I didn't see comming.

The whole book is such a typical YA novel. There's a girl, she's pretty, suddenly weird things start to happen to her, enter: mysterious hot guy, there are complications, it is revealed he secretly loves her and she him, then there's more complications ... this however is where it stops. Other typical YA books I've read so far resolve at least a couple of things by the end, even if they have a part two comming. This book however ends in such a stupid cliffhanger, It doesn't seem like a proper end at all. It's like someone tore the last few pages out of the book. Nothing is resolved, absolutely nothing. It's so ridiculous it didn't leave me wanting more. It didn't create a spark in me that craved for part two. I'm happy never knowing how this story ends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wide Awake.

06/27/2013 marked as: currently-reading