Rachel's Reviews > The Baker's Daughter

Mar 09, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in March, 2012

This book ended up being very disappointing, although I thought the plot had a lot of potential. It read very much like Sarah's Key, switching back and forth between a modern story and a WWII story in Germany. But it had the same problem as Sarah's Key--the modern line was almost completely uninteresting, and I just kept waiting to get back to the WWII story.

I don't think this book was written very well, and it relied mostly on dramatic events to be exciting. I prefer books that are written in a way that makes any event interesting, not just the dramatic ones. I often found myself bored and skimming ahead to get to some action. I also don't think the characters were very well-written . . . they all seemed to be either really flat, or written as if the author hadn't decided yet what/who she wanted them to be. It might have been a stronger book if it had ended after the main action, but it dragged on for 50 years, which is difficult to keep interesting when the characters aren't very well-constructed.

And, at the risk of sounding like a monster, I found the connection of Holocaust victims to illegal aliens entering the US to be ludicrous, bordering on offensive. I can hardly believe the author had the nerve to try and make a connection between the slaughter of millions of innocent people during WWII, and the plight of families crossing the border illegally only to be caught and deported. Maybe I'm reading too much into it and she didn't intend for it sound like she was linking the situations in the modern and past story lines, and maybe I just don't have a very good understanding of border/immigrations issues . . . but the connection seemed pretty hard to miss, and I found it tactless, extremely hard to swallow, and rather offensive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Baker's Daughter.

04/08/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Hamster (new)

Hamster How did you put a link in your review?! That's awesome! (I know, I could probably figure it out if I ever read the "directions.")

Rachel There's a little "add book/author" text link at the top of the review box . . . if it weren't simple, I wouldn't have ever figured it out. I'm kind of computer challenged.

message 3: by Hamster (new)

Hamster cool thanks!

Lacey at All Night Reading I completely agree. The comparison made me uncomfortable and ultimately led to me abandoning the book.

Sunny I don't think she intended to compare Holocaust victims with illegal immigrants. I think her intent was to illustrate how difficult it is for ordinary citizens, as well as police or military personnel, to stand up and speak out against the mistreatment of others when that mistreatment is government sanctioned, i.e. legal.