Carole V Bell's Reviews > Get a Life, Chloe Brown

Get a Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert

1720618
It was clear the minute I started to read. Get a Life Chloe Brown is a different romance novel. And I was thirsty for it—I’ve read a lot of disappointing books of late.

The premise is original; the main character, a wealthy and sheltered young Black British woman who is intelligent, genuinely witty and is living with chronic health problems, has a not so near death experience and decides to radically change her life for the better. Chloe Brown doesn't look or sound like any I've seen before. Her challenges go way beyond the typical negative self talk and stubborn miscommunication I’m used to; and the writing stands out too. It’s vivid, full of rich, specific detail, crisp, and quotable. I found myself frequently nodding and highlighting passages in appreciation. Like this one:
“Slowly, slowly, she sank to the ground. Put her clammy palms against the cool tiles. Breathed in. Breathed out. Breathed in.

Breathed out, her whisper like cracking glass, “If I had died today, what would my eulogy say?” This mind-blowing bore had zero friends, hadn’t traveled in a decade despite plenty of opportunity, liked to code on the weekends, and never did anything that wasn’t scheduled in her planner. Don’t cry for her; she’s in a better place now. Even Heaven can’t be that dull.”

It got better from there. The thing I admire the most is that this book doesn’t just tell the reader how special Chloe is; it shows you. As in the passage above, Chloe’s interior monologue is funny, her voice unique. Another example, from a pivotal point early on:
“Her moment of communion with the universe rudely interrupted, Chloe hauled herself into a sitting position. Strangely, she was now feeling much better. Perhaps because she had recognized and accepted the universe’s message. It was time, clearly, to get a life.”

That sold me. Definitely recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Get a Life, Chloe Brown.

July 27, 2019 – Started Reading
November 17, 2019 – Shelved as: favorite-fiction-by-waoc
November 22, 2019 – Shelved as: radrom-decolonized-detoxified
November 25, 2019 – Shelved as: big-love-fat-rep-and-romance
December 10, 2019 – Shelved as: best-of-2019

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Ok, I’m intrigued thanks to your review! Will add it to my library list.