Sarah's Reviews > Falling Together

Falling Together by Marisa de los Santos

Mar 09, 2012

liked it

As a preface to the rest of this review, I want to say that I enjoyed the story. However, I spent quite a while trying to come up with what it was about her books that bothers me, ever so slightly. The word that kept coming to mind was "precious," which is not accurate; I needed a word where the heroines are pixie-cute and talented, the children are precocious (it's like Lake Wobegon!) and the mundanities of life never seem to intrude. I think what it finally boils down to is the plot is based on very upper-middle-class problems and solutions - "I haven't spoken to my college friend in years and I'll need to fly across the globe to find her and thank goodness I live with my wealthy and good-natured brother and have the type of artistic job where I can leave on a moment's notice and my child has a passport because she went to Paris at the age of 4." It's hard to relate. Plus, don't use your title in three separate places in the novel - seems like the title came first and then the story.

Eh. It was fine as entertainment, but not a literary wonder, is what I'm saying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Together.