Sara's Reviews > Barely Breathing

Barely Breathing by Rebecca Donovan

4194931

did not like it
bookshelves: books-i-own

You can not imagine how disappointed I was when I got to the end of this book and found out there was going to be a third book! Here I was, thinking this was the last book when it's not. How did I miss that?! Don't get me wrong, I'll most definitely buy the next book and read it, I just didn't know there was going to be a third.

This book was a bit hard for me to read to be honest. I was so frustrated with Emma!! I can't understand why she kept letting her mother hurt her, why she let herself be used like she did by someone who didn't even care for her. I mean, it didn't take a genius to figure out that Rachel was a selfish witch! Why did Emma put up with that crap?! I found myself so mad at her for taking that kind of emotional abuse after what Carol had put her through in the last book. I understood the denial she was living in, thinking she could get through it on her own, but I didn't understand how she couldn't see that she needed help sooner than she did. The last book was nothing but her covering for Carol and I understood why. She was trying to protect her cousins from losing a parent. I could wrap my mind around that, even though it was hard. What I couldn't wrap my mind around was why she took everything laying down in this book. There wasn't anyone to protect, so why did she cover for her loser mother who she didn't even know, why did she take the verbal abuse and cover for the alcoholic rants?! It just made me so mad! When she finally did stand up for herself it was nice, but it came at a point where she'd already distanced herself and lied to people who could've helped her.

Aside from that, Emma basically pushed everyone away who loves her. Instead she finds this odd comfort in her mother's boyfriend/ex boyfriend Jonathan. I got that he had some kind of past he too was trying to overcome, and I understood the connection they shared due to their pasts. However...

(view spoiler)

Anyhow, I love the characters. I love Sara and Evan, but I wished they were in the story more. They really took a backseat to Rachel and Jonathan in this book and that was upsetting. I don't understand how we went from the first book where Emma confides that her friggin' Aunt beats her, to this book where she won't tell anyone her mother is a drunk. I don't understand...

I do understand being emotionally closed off. I tend to do that myself, and I do keep worries and hurt bottled up at times. But I also know to confide in those who love me, I know when to ask for help. I would've thought after almost dying, Emma would've been smarter than she was in this book.

I'd like to give this book a rating now since I'm writing the review, but I don't know how to yet. I might need to sleep on it and mull it over for a few days. I love the writing, love the characters, but I just didn't get this book. Part of me wants to give it 5 stars because I love the story and felt so invested in the characters, but part of me wants to give it one star because it made me so damn mad! I'm just not sure how to feel at the moment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Barely Breathing.

March 9, 2012 – Shelved
May 5, 2012 – Started Reading
May 5, 2012 – Shelved as: books-i-own
May 6, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Gina I Agree!!!!

message 2: by Sara (new) - rated it 1 star

Sara Thank you!! Here I am, months later and I'm still so disappointed! I'm certainly hoping the last book redeems this one!

message 3: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan Lejeune Totally agree. And I couldn't even finish the second book. I put it down (by the hardest) after I read the reviews that I had neglected to read before starting the second book. My heart can't take the stress I know this book will put me through, even though I know there is a third coming out and I do love the writing and characters as well!

message 4: by Sara (new) - rated it 1 star

Sara Morgan, I know how you feel with wanting to put the book down and not finish. I truly read that entire book thinking it was the second and last book of the series. You can't imagine how mad I was, after all that crap, to find out there was yet another book. We definitely seem to be the minority because a lot of people seem to have loved this book; I simply didn't get it. The only thing this book accomplished was to make me mad :-/.

message 5: by Kim (last edited Mar 13, 2013 08:21AM) (new)

Kim I just started the second book, and I am going to stop reading the series. I got the first book, that Emma was so used to the abuse that she basically let it happen without saying anything. I can't buy the excuse that she was protecting the kids. Sooner or later, Carol would have started abusing them as well. I'm reading the reviews and it seems Emma is letting herself be abused again by her mother. Why even move in with her when she gave her up in the first place? she didn't have to move in with her to get a connection with her. Honestly, it's like she didn't learn any from the hardship she went through with carol. Didn't nearly dying convince her that she took things too far in covering for Carol and she's going to do it for her mother now. I don't get it. I'm sure if Carol didn't want to kill her, Emma would have written off what happened to her as well. I just don't get it.

Priscilla Casalino Read the 3rd one?

Leigh Montez I agree with you Emma made me crazy in this book and I was kinda unable to keep up with the stringing along of the plot! I still love the books and so plan on reading book 3!

Taylor just finished this book and I'm pissed. so glad it wasnt just me.