Janet's Reviews > What a Scot Wants

What a Scot Wants by Amalie Howard

Highlander Ronan Maclaren Duke of Dunrannoch must marry, but he’s in no particular hurry. He’s perfectly happy as the laird of his clan, running the Maclaren Whisky Distillery.
Lady Imogen Kinley has cleverly avoided wedlock for years. Men, she has learned from painful experience, are not to be trusted. Determined to remain independent, she takes an indecent amount of pleasure in making herself as unattractive to potential suitors as possible. She also runs a refuge for women in Edinburgh. When desperate measures are taken by their parents and a betrothal contract is signed, it’s loathing at first sight. They each vow to make the other cry off—by any means necessary.
I love the authors’ books & this one didn’t disappoint, yes it could easily be read on its own but all the books about the Maclarens are very, very good so if you love series then I’d recommend reading them all. This book ticked all the boxes for me, two of my favourite tropes, marriage of convenience & enemies to lovers. The characters were well portrayed & had plenty of depth. I loved Ronan & Imogen & their first meeting was hilarious as was their betrothal ball as each was determined the other would cry off & their antics had me laughing out loud. They both wanted to deny their attraction, which only grew and grew. I also loved that Ronan’s siblings made appearances so it was great to catch up on their lives. Whilst this was a fun & entertaining read it also had its darker side with a villain out for revenge & who threatened everything Imogen held dear. I’ll miss the Maclarens
My honest review is for a special copy I voluntarily read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What a Scot Wants.

July 26, 2019 – Shelved