Robert's Reviews > Blackberries in the Dark

Blackberries in the Dark by Mavis Jukes

Mar 08, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 3-9, fiction, leveled-library, death, grandmother, inference
Read 3 times. Last read March 8, 2012 to March 22, 2012.

This is a book my school has in its leveled library. I picked it up for the first time a few years ago to read with a guided reading group. I liked it enough so pulled it out again this year.

Austin enjoys visiting his grandparents during summer vacation. His grandfather and he fish. Grandfather has promised to teach him how to fly fish this coming summer. In the interim, grandfather died. Austin still visits his grandmother. She has cleared out grandfather's things, which saddens the boy. She gives him an antique doll, which breaks. Austin agrees to go pick blackberries for a pie. Doing so, he and his grandmother forge their own memories together.

This story has good description and provides an opportunity for my students to infer many things on a level they can handle. I find this a rich story, although I think it is abbreviated. This is like a snippet of a longer story that is not told. Even so, it is a good book to practice inference.

I find that I have to help my students understand fishing, which they seem unaware of, and other vocabulary.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackberries in the Dark.

Finished Reading