Julie's Reviews > The Lying Room

The Lying Room by Nicci French

bookshelves: 2019, william-morrow-impusle, edelweiss-review, e-book, mystery-shelf, suspense

The Lying Room by Nicci French is a 2019 William Morrow Paperbacks publication.

Superb, thought-provoking thriller!

This is the first book released after the popular Frieda Klein series. Shaking off the haze of bittersweet feelings at having to say goodbye to those characters, I’m now ready to tackle a new stand- alone effort by this dynamic writing duo.

Neve’s marriage is in a rut, her family and social life is routine and predictable, although the problems with her daughter are still at the forefront of her mind. However, when she and her boss, Saul Stevenson, begin spending time together, it leads to an affair, one that quickens Neve, making her feel alive and desired for the first time in a long while. It’s all thrilling and exciting, until she receives a text message from her lover instructing her to meet up with him. When she arrives at his place, she finds Saul dead- having been beaten to death with a hammer.

With no time for proper mourning, Neve, immediately jumps into action, cleaning the place up from top to bottom hoping to wipe away any trace of her affair with Saul. She must protect her family, especially her troubled daughter, at all costs.

However, once the investigation into Saul’s death begins, Neve discovers more about her dead lover than she ever wanted to know. Not only that, Saul’s widow has reached out to her, announcing she is positive Saul was having an affair with someone at the office, asking Neve to help her find out who it was.

All of this has Neve’s nerves at a breaking point. But, when the detective working the case latches on to Neve, showing up at the most inopportune moments to ask her more questions, Neve’s lies build into a precarious house of cards.

Shocking revelations come to light about her friends, colleagues, her own family, and maybe even about Neve herself as the mystery of who killed Saul deepens. Yet the one thing Neve never considered in her all- consuming obsession to keep her affair hidden from her family and the police, is that she too might be in danger…

This is a dark, twisty thriller which takes so many little curves and travels down so many different avenues, I could never figure out who killed Saul or what direction the story would take me. The first part of the book is almost darkly humorous as Neve is constantly trying to keep her cool as nearly everyone comes to her with their confessions. She becomes so paranoid and on edge, she begins to suspect anyone and everyone in her orbit of having a motive to kill Saul- or out to get her, as well.

However, as the story approached the last quarter of the book, a much darker tone emerges, one that makes the reader very nervous on Neve’s behalf.

The atmosphere and the suspense are so taut, I was practically squirming in my chair from start to finish. However, I also found the book to be very thought provoking. How well do we really know those closest to us? The story could also serve as a type of character study, as Neve, a person who is basically honest, a person so dependable, people feel comfortable confiding in her, takes one selfish misstep, which leads to another and another. Her actions reap repercussions and regrets she never could have anticipated, which is nearly always how these things turn out- murder or no. I couldn’t help but think of the old maxim about tangled webs and deception.

There is one small weakness in the story, as I found the motive a bit tepid, but in the long run, perhaps the strength of the motive didn’t matter so much, as the psychology behind Neve’s responses to her circumstances are at the forefront of the novel.

The moral to the story is strong and pointed- one everyone should keep in mind if temptation ever comes knocking on your door!

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lying Room.

July 26, 2019 – Shelved
December 23, 2019 – Shelved as: e-book
December 23, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery-shelf
December 23, 2019 – Shelved as: suspense
December 23, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)

Ceecee Excellent review Julie - totally agree!

Julie Ceecee wrote: "Excellent review Julie - totally agree!"

Thank you so much, Ceecee!! 💖😊💖

Peter Excellent review, Julie, I enjoyed this one too. :):)

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Great review Julie. I do enjoy these authors!

Julie Peter wrote: "Excellent review, Julie, I enjoyed this one too. :):)"

Thank you very much, Peter!! Glad we both enjoyed this one. I love these authors! 😊😊

Julie Holly wrote: "Great review Julie. I do enjoy these authors!"

Thanks so much, Holly!! So do I!! 😊💖😊

message 7: by Laur💫 (new)

Laur💫 Insightful review! Great job.

Julie Laur wrote: "Insightful review! Great job."

Thanks so much, Laur!! 😊😊

message 9: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Fabulous review, Julie! I have been curious about this book and I am glad to see that it is worth reading!

Julie Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie! I have been curious about this book and I am glad to see that it is worth reading!"

Thank you very much, Meredith!! I highly recommend anything by these authors, I think you'd like this one! 💖😊💖

message 11: by Luvtoread (new)

Luvtoread Fantastic review, Julie! This sounds so good!!💕

Julie, I want to wish you a Wonderful and Happy Holiday Season!!🎀

Julie Luvtoread wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! This sounds so good!!💕

Julie, I want to wish you a Wonderful and Happy Holiday Season!!🎀"

Thank you so much, Luv!! Happy Holidays to you as well!! 🎁💖😊

message 13: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Splendid review Julie 🤗

Julie Maureen wrote: "Splendid review Julie 🤗

Thank you very much, Maureen!! 💖

Books Just 4 Me That sounds so intense! Great review!

Julie Books Just 4 Me wrote: "That sounds so intense! Great review!"

Thank you very much, BJ4M! It was super suspenseful! 💖😊💖

message 17: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong OOH! So glad I have this one to read Julie! Awesome review.

Julie Susanne wrote: "OOH! So glad I have this one to read Julie! Awesome review."

Thank you, Susanne!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 💖😊💖

message 19: by Kimber (new)

Kimber Silver Outstanding review, Julie! 😊✨

Julie Kimber wrote: "Outstanding review, Julie! 😊✨"

Thank you so much, Kimber!! 💖😊💖

Kaceey Fabulous review Julie! Glad you enjoyed this one too!💚❤️

message 22: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review!!!

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Fabulous review Julie! Glad you enjoyed this one too!💚❤️"

Thanks so much, Kaceey!! 💖😊💖

Julie Deanna wrote: "Great review!!!"

Thank you very much, Deanna! 💖😊💖

Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!! This sounds so good! Fabulous review, Julie! :)

Julie Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!! wrote: "This sounds so good! Fabulous review, Julie! :)"

Thank you, dear Norma! You might like this one! 💖

message 27: by Richard (new)

Richard A very good review Julie ........ I’ve read loads by this writing team and enjoy their books a lot!

Julie Richard wrote: "A very good review Julie ........ I’ve read loads by this writing team and enjoy their books a lot!"

Thank you, Richard!! Me too! 😊😊

message 29: by RedemptionDenied (new)

RedemptionDenied Excellent review, Julie!

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Wonderful review, Julie <3 Glad you enjoyed x

Julie RedemptionDenied wrote: "Excellent review, Julie!"

Thank you, RD!! 😊😊

Julie Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie <3 Glad you enjoyed x"

Thank you so much, Alex!! 😊💖😊

message 33: by Supratim (new)

Supratim Great review, Julie!

Julie Supratim wrote: "Great review, Julie!"

Thank you, Supratim!! 😊😊

message 35: by James (new)

James Thane Great review, Julie.

Julie James wrote: "Great review, Julie."

Thanks so much, James! 😊😊

message 37: by Brandice (new)

Brandice Great review Julie, I’m intrigued!

Julie Brandice wrote: "Great review Julie, I’m intrigued!"

Thank you, Brandice!! I think you might like this one! 😊💖😊

message 39: by Jen (new)

Jen Great review, Julie!

Julie Jen wrote: "Great review, Julie!"

Thank you very much, Jen!! 💖

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Awesome reviee, Julie! 💕🎄

Julie Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Awesome reviee, Julie! 💕🎄"

Thanks so much, dear Mary Beth! 💖

Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill This sounds so good! I have never read this author before! Great review Julie ❤️

Julie Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill wrote: "This sounds so good! I have never read this author before! Great review Julie ❤️"

Thank you, Kim!! The 'author' is actually a husband and wife writing team. I think their books would be right up your alley! 💖

message 45: by Tina (new)

Tina An excellent review Julie!! 💖🌟

Julie Tina wrote: "An excellent review Julie!! 💖🌟"

Thank you so much, Tina!! 💖